Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some Rank Continuity In "All Good Things..." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Some Rank Continuity In "All Good Things..."
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The hell...? The Tarellians we saw in "Haven" didn't have four arms.

--Jonah

And that's probably why the scene was cut.
But it didn't say Tarellian, now, did it? It said Terrellian. Obviously two different species...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it wouldnt have been a huge reason, since they went on to add two different species of tarellians later.. i believe one who was visually identified as terellian in DS9 and one other tarelian identified in dialogue as having a physical appearance dissimilar to those two
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you are confused with Talarians...

In DS9 they did mention Terellians and Terrellians, neither were seen, both were meant to be the same species.

In "Improbable Cause", Garek pointed out a Talarian that was visually much different than those we saw in "Suddenly Human", however, in reality it was a Kobheerian, one seen often during the run of the show.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies1d.htm

we still have Tarellians from "Haven" who are perfect humanoid types, and carry plague

then we have the four armed Terellians who, despite being cut from AGT, were still mentioned as being four armed in "Liaisons"

and there was yet another Terrellian in VGR's "Fight" who was not Tarellian nor four-armed, and several TNG, VGR and ENT episodes have mentioned Terrellians, Tyrellians and Terellians, some of whom had a plague of some sort

sorry about the confusion mentioning DS9, i was thinking of the Talarian problem too..

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we go by pronunciation alone, then the T-races go something like this:

Tarellans. No "i" there. Humanlike plague victims, only seen or mentioned in "Haven".

T*rellians. * stands for random vowel, sometimes with a second "r" there, too. Spellings in Encyclopedia vary. At least two species implied: a Delta quadrant one Neelix knows about, and a four-armed Alpha/Beta one. Then again, Neelix could have been studying Alpha species.

Talarians. Clear TNG references to lobsterheaded near-humans. Confusing DS9 reference to what looks like a noseless Dopterian, but more of that later on.

Tamarians. Alternate name for "Children of Tama". Again clear, problem-free TNG references.

Now, about those Talarians... When Garak mentions a Talarian, he is making the point that the guy is not swallowing his food as fast as his impatient human companion. However, as the scene is set, it would be wholly impossible for Garak to see how fast or slowly the noseless Dopterian is eating. So it's quite reasonable to assume that he is actually describing a person on a table *other* than the one the camera is pointed at! Or just pulling Bashir's leg, as Bashir is turned the other way and doesn't even bother to properly look at the table the camera shows.

(I wouldn't put it past Garak to even mistake the species of the noseless Dopterian, since all he can see is his back, but that's not as satisfactory an explanation...)

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOppsss - I said Tarelian or what-ever... I meant what-ever was in the script... Terrellian

Tarelian
Tarrelian
Tarellian
Tareelian
Teralian
Tarkalien
Terralien
Terellian
Terrellian
Terrellienn
Terrallian
Torrelian
Turellian
Trillian
Teruulian
Talarian
Tellerite
Tellerbium
Tamarian
Tamerian
Temelleriibium
Tanurbium
Solarium! [Smile]

And the Ferengi can't say Hu-man properly! [Smile]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americans can't say "Aluminium" properly, so we really can't complain, can we?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because the element Al is spelt aluminum, only one 'i' [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
That's because the element Al is spelt aluminum, only one 'i' [Wink]

Actually, according to the Internation Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry it's spelt Aluminium.

See also this and this, which explain it.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that a proper adherance to the Latin naming of elements yields "Aluminum" -- no second 'i'.

Of the elements known to the Romans, only one -- Barium -- ended in '-ium', due to it being a modification of the root word (which I can't remember right now -- 'bari-something', obviously). The others at the time, for comparison purposes, included Aurum (Gold), Argentum (Silver), Cuprum (Copper), Selenum (Tin), Ferrum (Iron), and so on. If you see an atomic symbol that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual element name, odds are it's derived from the original Latin name...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Except that a proper adherance to the Latin naming of elements yields "Aluminum" -- no second 'i'.

Of the elements known to the Romans, only one -- Barium -- ended in '-ium', due to it being a modification of the root word (which I can't remember right now -- 'bari-something', obviously). The others at the time, for comparison purposes, included Aurum (Gold), Argentum (Silver), Cuprum (Copper), Selenum (Tin), Ferrum (Iron), and so on. If you see an atomic symbol that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual element name, odds are it's derived from the original Latin name...

--Jonah

That's a bit irrelevant really. The fact is that it is officially spelt Aluminium, regardless of the original Latin system.

The international organisation responsible for chemistry says it's Aluminium, so it is. [Smile]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of the elements known to the Romans, only one -- Barium -- ended in '-ium', due to it being a modification of the root word (which I can't remember right now -- 'bari-something', obviously). The others at the time, for comparison purposes, included Selenum (Tin)

--Jonah

That's interesting because wasn't the Greek goddess of the moon Sel�n�?

Infact doing a quick google...

Σεληνη (Sel�n�)
= the Moon (Greek)

So is Tin still Selenum? I guess it's symbol is still Sn.

Just more on Sel�n�:

quote:
Selenium was first identified in 1817 by the Swedish chemist Jakob Berzelius (1779-1848) (note). Berzelius and his colleague Johann Gottlieb Gahn (1745-1818) were studying a method of producing sulphuric acid in lead cameras when they observed residues of a substance with a very intense scent in the bottom of the camera. At first, they thought it was Tellurium. However, a more careful analysis revealed that there were no residues of this element, in spite of its identical properties. To this new substance was given the name Selenium, term that derives from the Greek Σεληνη [Sel�n�] (Moon). Since Klaproth had named Tellurium for the Earth, Berzelius thought it appropriate to name the sister element for the Earth's satellite:

[/quote]In mythology, Selene resembles a young woman with an extremely white face who travels on a silver chariot drawn by two horses. She is often shown riding a horse or a bull. Selene is said to wear robes, carry a torch, and wear a half moon on her head. She was not one of the twelve great gods on Olympus, however she is the moon goddess. After her brother Helios completes his journey across the sky, she begins hers. Before Selene's journey across the night sky she bathes in the sea. She is known for her countless love affairs. The most famous of her loves is the shepherd Endymion. Encyclopedia Mythica.
[/quote]

Selene is also known as Diana (who I thought was the goddess of the hunt?)

There you go, a nice little aside! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Just moved on to Sn - and it is Latin for Stannum not Selenum:

quote:
Stannum (Latin) > stag

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Just moved on to Sn - and it is Latin for Stannum not Selenum:

quote:
Stannum (Latin) > stag

Actually this page is REALLY interesting.

This is a little chart - where they matched up the gods in astrology to the earliest known metals:

In astrology alchemy the seven heavenly bodies known to the ancients were associated with seven metals also known in antiquity:

Sun (Sol) Gold (Aurum)
Mercury (Mercurius) Mercury (Hydrargyrum)
Venus Copper (Cuprum)
Moon (Luna) Silver (Argentum)
Mars Iron (Ferrum)
Jupiter Tin (Stannum)
Saturn Lead (Plumbum)

Moon there is associated with Argentum - Silver.

I knew about the Cornish being the suppliers to the Greeks and co. of Tin way-back when. But there's a whole lot to it on that page:

It has links to the history of the entire periodic table of the elements!

The Cornish word for Tin was Stean - which also seems to be a derivision for the word Stannum.

GO the Cornish!! [Smile]

link:

quite interesting:

http://www.vanderkrogt.net/elements/elem/sn.html

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Quiz - name the non-existant element No. 993 [Smile]

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

Answer: Enentrium [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps