Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Region 2 DVD releases

Author Topic: Region 2 DVD releases
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so ENT Season One will probably be released at the end of this year (and so far, there are only plans for Region 2 ENT boxes [Razz] ) and Nemesis will be released around the 4th of August.

But does anyone know if and when TOS will finally be released on DVD in Region 2? There's still only the 2-episode Region 1 discs, and those are far too expensive. I mean, how hard is it to just release three more boxes?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far be it for me to question this, as I have to background in marketing, but why are they releasing Enterprise on DVD so soon after its incarnation? And for that matter, why not to the US market first?

I believe Nemesis in the US comes out a week from tomorrow (May 20th). And I am completely for a TOS season by season box set. Depending where you buy them they cost between $14-$18US a crack, that figures somewhere over $550US upwards of $700US for the entire TOS catalog!!! 500++!!! [Eek!] That is more than I intend to pay for all 7 Seasons of DS9!!! [Mad] They have some real marketing geniuses at work here... [Roll Eyes]

For that matter, I wouldnt mind seeing Animated Trek on DVD either....but again, they always called me a dreamer....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean, how hard is it to just release three more boxes?
Very. The German TV station, which acquired the airing rights for TOS in the 1970s, cut the episodes and then dubbed them. Paramount Home Entertainment wants to use the RC1 TOS DVDs as basis.

As the RC1 DVDs are uncut, they have to dubb all these cut scenes now. I'd say 2005 is a good guess for a TOS release.

quote:
And for that matter, why not to the US market first?
One word: syndication.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus they couldn't really redub the German version of TOS as there is a major problem: the actor who gave his voice to the German-speaking Kirk (as well as Sean Connery - not only in 007) died a few years ago! :-(

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE

http://www.trektoday.com/news/161003_02.shtml

Finally, it seems TOS *is* coming in both Region 1 and 2 DVD boxes. But first, there's Voyager in 2004. Don't know yet if I'll buy Voyager, since it isn't a particular favorite. But TOS on DVD... that would be great.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...why are they releasing Enterprise on DVD so soon after its incarnation?"

They're doing this with pretty much every show these days. There are already plans to release the first season of the remade "Dragnet" on DVD; they just haven't announced the release date yet. Said season just ended this past spring. I'm sure there are others, but this is the one I noticed recently in particular.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 24 boxed sets came out over here the week after the last episode was shown. The length of time between the film/show being first shown and the DVD being released has decreased dramatically in the last few years; I'm sure it used to be about a year or more.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's not forget that being able to acquire a television series on any medium is a relatively new concept. I mean, you could buy VHS boxed sets of Highlander, and you could buy laserdiscs of TNG (two episodes apiece for $40), but DVD has certainly given fire to the releases of television shows. I mean, hell, I'm going to be at Best Buy next Tuesday buying season 4 of the Sopranos, and the week after that buying season 6 of Deep Space Nine.

I'm going today for Indiana Jones! [Smile]

(And I wonder why I have no money...)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More new for you than for us. The TNG, DS9 and VOY video releases were often at the top of the charts because they came out before the episodes were shown on TV, and Buffy started doing video box sets ages before even we started getting the DVD releases. Obviously there was more of a demand in the UK due to the delay in getting to see the episodes on Television, but still, I am sexy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps