Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Picard's notoriety

Author Topic: Picard's notoriety
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While catching bits & pieces of "Yesterday's Enterprise" last night in between bits & pieces of Jenn, I had a thought about something.

In the alternate timeline, Picard catches himself when he answers Garrett's distress signal--the whole "This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation Starship...of a Federation starship." Now, Garrett & the C came from 2344, at which time Picard was halfway through his tenure on the Stargazer. Since he was supposed to be the "shining rising young star" of the time, how come Garrett didn't recognize the name or assume that it was the Stargazer? Granted, battle makes one not parse things correctly at first, but eventually she might have thought it, eh?

And on a similar note, why has there never been any mention again of Rachel Garrett? It seems that Enterprises go to the best & brightest captains around, so....yeah.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No idea.

Of course, the lack of any mention of John Harriman blows your "best and brightest" theory to shreds. [Razz]

As far as Picard's opening hail in response to the distress call... I think it's possible (even likely) that no one over there even heard it. After all, when the boarding party beamed over, Garrett was kinda out of it. And when they got back to the "D" it was a moot point anyway, because the "D" looks nothing like the Stargazer.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite sure there's a U.S.S. Garrett out there somewhere.

Maybe she did assume that the Stargazer was answering the distress call. She probably realized something wasn't right when she saw the funky uniforms. And it obviously wasn't the Stargazer she beamed aboard. But it was shortly after that that she discovered the truth, so there probably wasn't alot of time to say "I thought you were in command of the Stargazer... and shouldn't you still have some hair?"

Same, if not larger, problem with why Capt. Bateson didn't immediately know something was up when this monster Galaxy Class ship introduced itself as the Enterprise. He would surely know of the Enterprise in service in his time, namely the 1701 A or at the very least, the newly commissioned, state of the art, el-aurian savior, the 1701 B (I can't remember the year Bateson said he was from).

Maybe both captains did suspect something.. they just didn't voice it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
possibly she just wasnt familiar with the man or his career.. both captains were probably on long-range missions, not schmoozing with other captains in the inner space of the Federation, getting to know their peers

IIRC, the Bozeman was circa 2278.. this would make the 1701 no-suffix the Enteprrise of that era.. D Carey's 'Ship of the Line' has a brief flashback sequence of the Enterprise under Captain Spock on a rendezvous before it reported for fleet maneuvers under Admiral Kirk (this would be about a half decade before Wrath of Khan).. also, P David's 'Captain's Daughter' has Sulu very nearly taking the XO position on Bozeman, before he decided to take an Academy assignment to be closer to his daughter after her mother died.. this was the role he was in in TWOK before he was considered a candidate for captaincy (which he delayed by helping to steal the E)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps