Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS Computer Displays

Author Topic: TOS Computer Displays
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing some research on TOS-era computer displays (mainly by browsing Trek5..). There are a few interesting bits I want to share. And I have some questions.

First of all, does anyone know what sort of font comes closest to the lettering seen on TOS displays? Examples here and here.

I found another interesting screenshot here. It seems to show some sort of map?

And oh no! United Earth stuff!

(Trek5 seems to have some issues)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here

Another uniform variant? [Smile] It has the united earth logo on the uniform of Gary Mitchell. Actually is that the earth? It looks like the laurel leaves surrounding a circle that looks like it has an arm holding up a trident!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off the top of my head, I'd guess something from the "Franklin Gothic" family, a pretty commonly used typeface in the 1960s
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
And here

Another uniform variant? [Smile] It has the united earth logo on the uniform of Gary Mitchell. Actually is that the earth? It looks like the laurel leaves surrounding a circle that looks like it has an arm holding up a trident!?!

It's a stylized arrow-head that's elongated which has two snakes wrapped around it terminating w/their heads at the top, as well as the aforementioned laurel's. I have an old fan-produced "U.S.S. Enterprise Officers Manual" which shows that and the one on the coffee cup above in quite nice detail. The arrow-head one is identified as medical and the Earth/laurel's one is identified for a technician. I'm not saying that the definition given for their existance are canon, just so's you know. Just what they are.

I supposed the reasoning of the two symbols could be that each ship has a distinct design? Sort of like how the different uniforms seemed to have a different "bad" on the chest from ship to ship to starbase?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote to Geoff Mandel about the TOS fonts. He suspects Matt Jeffries used commerically available rub-on lettering of different fonts. His guesses are Futura and Alternate Gothic (which can be replicated by slightly condensing Franklin Gothic.) He also says the font Okuda uses for Enterprise is "Corporate Bold Condensed."

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps