Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Left Hand of Destiny" Any Good?

Author Topic: "Left Hand of Destiny" Any Good?
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had a chance to read H.G. Hertzler's "Left Hand of Destiny" books? Are they any good? I always get nervous when an actor thinks he or she is science fiction writer. Can you say William Shatner? [Smile] I knew you could.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just finished part 2.. i heartily recommend it.. its a great Klingon novel, and a great tie-up to the TNG-DS9 klingon arc.. basically the Klingon empire being redeemed.. great stuff, especially for Martok's character
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to know that they are good books. I have always like J.G. Hertzler and the Martok character, and was hoping that Mr. Hertzler would bring a good tale to the Star Trek universe. The excerpts that I read on Amazon looked promising, but some disappointing Trek books, such as Genesis Wave Book Two, kinda turned me off to Trek fiction.

Any new entries to the Galactopedia from this book series?

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the galactopedia?! my gosh someone's heard of it.. havent had much time for an update lately, what with two jobs and the girlfriend needing attention, but i should add the relevant stuff soon...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished part I. Generally, TNG two-parters suck suck suck, but I chose to treat this as a DS9 two-parter... And patted myself on the back afterwards.

It's epic enough, all right. And all Klingon, like KRAD's "Ambassador Worf" stuff. There are no human characters nosing in - the ones that attempt to do so are delightfully dealt with. And while the plot may be a bit to the day-topical side, explosively so, it certainly fits better into the canon universe than the idiotic TNG two-parters where first the galaxy explodes and then our heroes put it back together and attach a "Reset by your friendly Starfleet" sticker to it.

It's ghost-written, all right. But like "A Stitch in Time" and "The 34th Rule", it's lovingly ghost-written. There's a lot of the actor in it, and a lot of "inside touch" that makes a fan's heart leap. Lang's Klingons use JM Ford terminology, customs and ethics seamlessly with stuff gleaned from DS9. There is none of the "showing off" mentality of the Reeves-Stevens books.

And the characters... they work. Even when they prove to be rather the opposite of their canon appearances and impressions, this smacks of realism. There are few stereotypes there - althought there are plenty of archetypes. I certainly prefer the latter. And I love the Hur'Q.

(There. Had to spoil *something* for you. [Razz] )

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
the galactopedia?! my gosh someone's heard of it.. havent had much time for an update lately, what with two jobs and the girlfriend needing attention, but i should add the relevant stuff soon...

Well fuck.
How 'bout a link, pardner?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike. Somehow the Captain has managed to use the Force to attract chicks. Luke, who is yo daddy?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

i guess that i should check the 'add sig' box every once in a while... i havent spammed anybody in a while either..

yeah, i should get around to it, i need to update the entries on the Hur'q, Boreth, Martok, Kahless, the Negh'Var and Rotarran.. ohand add entries for Morjod and Gothmara. But to say any more would surely be spoilers!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gothmara"? Sounds like either an angsty teenage screenname, or a Japanese monster film...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gothmara is really mad!
He hates his Mom and Dad!
Gothmara! Gothmara!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps