Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Activision sues Viacom over Trek (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Activision sues Viacom over Trek
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DUBAL POST!11
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invasion was like watching "Mama's House." Forever. While sitting on a naked Carrot Top's lap.

All the while being shot in the face. With a bazooka.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invasion was Colony Wars but set in the trek universe, whats there NOT to like?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely someone who was into the games first and the media tie-in aspect second wouldn't waste their time with most Star Trek games. Because has there ever been a game about a movie or TV show or Aerosmith album that was better than a similar game without such a tie-in? No.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revolution X because music is the weapon. {pistolwink}

I finished Starfleet Academy on my Mac. Sometimes it was annoying, but mostly I had fun.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many misspent quarters...

Anyway, some examples of what I was thinking:

Max Payne is in every way a superior game to Enter the Matrix.

StarCraft is better than New Worlds. Or the notorious Age of Empires clone that is Galactic Battlegrounds. Though for this I guess I should just say that Age of Empires II is superior, but I wanted to haul out the big gun, which for me is StarCraft, but let's quickly admit that there is room for many games and many opinions in this slot, so as to head off the perhaps inevitable Total Annihilation fan rant.

I'd say, in my personal experience, the only Star Trek games which have actually been really good games first have been the two original series adventures (Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites) and Elite Force, though the latter's debt to Half-Life is of course clear and obvious to all.

Now I am getting sidetracked, because man were those Interplay adventures good. I had to call the tip line often, because I was a moron, and I never finished the first one due to that climactic battle between the Enterprise and that crazy guy's (stolen? reverse-engineered?) Constitution, equipped with ROMULAN PLASMA TORPEDOES that quickly reduced my shields to nothing, not to mention his two friends in their speedy little pirate ships. But they were still great, great games.

I'm sure someone will mention A Final Unity, which I bought but never got working for some reason, I think because I had a 486SX and it required a 486DX, and what could I do about but stare lovingly at the box and eventually move on with my life? And of course the less said about every Trek adventure game after it the better, but by this time the genre was already dying.

(Were I to render judgment on AFU, my complaint would be that, the few times I actually did manage to play it somewhere, the game always felt mildly schizophrenic, with a space combat system that felt way out of touch with the rest of the game, but what do I know, nothing, not even enough to read the miniumum requirements on the side of a box.)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOTAL ANNIHILATION SI BETTAR TAHN STARCRAP!11!!`1~!!

And, uh, the only Trek games that have had the distinction of being installed on my harddrive, by me:

-Birth of the Federation (Master of Orion! With Defiant-class warships and QANTAUM TOPRDEOES! Though it was infested with more bugs than Klendathu and an interface eerily reminiscent of Microsoft's early Windows experiments)

-Elite Force (Guns! And a storyline! And aliens!)

-Elite Force: THE SEQUEL! (More guns! And a storyline! And more aliens!)

-Klingon Honor Guard (Disruptors! And Klingons! And Bath'leths!)

-Klingon Academy (BIGGER disruptors! And more Klingons! And cloaking devices!)

-Starfleet Command (PAHSARS! And even more Klingons! And a storyline)

-Armada (RTS! In space! With more Defiant-class warships and more QANTAUM TOPRDEOES! Though Homeworld got there first, and implemented the 3D aspect better)

-Bridge Commander (EVEN MORE QANTAUM TOPRDEOES!! And TEH BIGGETS DISPURTROS EVAR!! And a storyline)

Sooo... three from Interplay, one from Microprose, three from Activision, and one from The Company Founded By The Man Who Wrote X-Wing! But, but, but... if I had to pick ONE game to rule them all, my choice would be Elite Force I. Because it's, like, Half-Life in uniform!

Oh, and the adventures sucked. 8)

[ July 04, 2003, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Member # 239

When I was a young, young child in the days that were 1996, for my third birthday, I received "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger."

Now, let me tell you, that was one enjoyable game, by virtue of me being three, and it being the first Star Trek game I'd played. The voices and the atmosphere of being on the Station, AN FARST PARSAN, were just altogether too much for school.

But then, something happened to it where I could not load the second CD! It was like God himself reached his fucking arm through, just to hold me down, just t-t-t-to hold me down.

I have not gone and tried to replay that ever, for I know some memories are best kept as they are, and not shattered by the disasterous hand of reality and disappointment.

I then went on the end up playing every other Star Trek game ever, excepting Pinball, and any of those Starship Creators. And they were all poopy. Generations? LIKE LICKING A CACTUS. But, I have not played "SFC3" as the kids say, or anything released from now until the end of infinity, but I am sure that they will never be as fun, as say, Mortyr.

I hope the Star Trek games are not one big Romero in the annals of history.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once got Honor Guard on my birthday. But my dad kept the receipt, and said I could change it for another game. Knowing that Trek games are usually shit with a capital I, I got Discworld 2 instead. Which got me hooked on Terry Pratchet's work. Which was nice.

(You see.. an entire post without fanspeak in capital letters. I rock!)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
When I was a young, young child in the days that were 1996, for my third birthday, I received "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger."

So what, that makes you like 10 now? [Wink]

I, for some reason, hated Harbinger (at least for the old Sega Genesis). Then I got the TNG Genesis game which was alright...but for whatever reason I could never beat. [Frown]

My big game for a while was the SF Command for the Super Nintendo (this was before I got into computer games). I loved that game and the one on one battles, to this day my lil sister is still not keen on Star Trek. [Razz]

Then I got into computers, and got "Warcraft II" which I thought was God-sent. My first Trek game was "Birth of the Federation", which I never had a problem with. "Armada" was good too, a Trek variation of "Warcraft/Starcraft" only with ships!

Other games I have that come to mind are:

"Elite Force": Which I think sucks, especially after all the play I had prior to buying it with "Counterstrike" and "Metal of Honor".

"SFC: Orion Pirates": Which thinks I suck. [Frown]

"ST: Borg": Which I just bought for $5 but haven't pursued yet.

ahh..and good ole "Dominion Wars" was a damn good game too, like a sooped up version of "SFC" or whathaveya....and I hated that "Starship Creator: Warp II" that came with it...blah!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A belated thought: I doubt there's anything in the contract that forbids Viacom from running the (THEIR) franchise into the ground, so this claim is laughable at best...
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they will ever work at targetting the core fans and find out what we really want to spend money on. Not likely with B&B in charge.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares about the core fans? The occasional viewer and kids are a much easier audience.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B&B and the marketing folks at Paramount certainly don't. [Frown]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That's for sure! I can't imagine anyone more responsible for the awfulness of Hidden Evil than Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. Who else could be? TV producers are the most important part of video game design.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps