Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Eddie Murphy Star Trek IV Script (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Eddie Murphy Star Trek IV Script
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing research about unproduced Star Trek material with the hope of eventually compiling this information on a new Web site.

I was curious if anyone has come across a script or treatment for the version of Star Trek IV that was supposed to star Eddie Murphy. I seem to remember from the rumors floating around about that time (1984-85) that Paramount did have a script, but negative fan reaction caused them to go with a different script and drop Murphy.

Plus, if anyone has any scripts or treatments for the unproduced Starfleet Academy movies about the younger Kirk, McCoy and Spock, I would be interested in seeing this material.

PS---

Mr. Neutron, were you ever successful in locating a script, or other material, for Star Trek: Planet of Titansnot already published in the Star Trek: Phase II book?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie Murphy? Seriously?
Sounds... interesting. [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Triton
Member # 1043

Yep, Eddie Murphy said that he was a Trek fan and wanted a part in the next "Star Trek" film, which at this time was the yet unproduced Trek IV. This was when he was at the zenith of his career with the recently released Beverly Hills Cop and 48 Hours. A time when his films actually made the studio money before flops like Pluto Nash. (By the way, was that film ever released? Saw a coming attraction documentary about it, and then heard of it again.)

The idea of Eddie Murphy in a Trek film was quickly torpedoed by fans who vehemently opposed it in a letter writing campaign. Paramount relented.

So one of things that I would like to determine is was the Eddie Murphy role serious or comedic? I would also like to determine if the Eddie Murphy-included script is substantially different from the shooting script of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

PS--

I would also be interested if anyone had access to unproduced material from any of the Trek iterations, I don't intend to be exclusive to the TOS cast. I just know a little bit more about the unproduced TOS material.

A few years later we heard rumors that Christian Slater was a huge Trek fan and wanted a role in Trek VI, which he got, although small.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I never knew that [Smile] .

I suppose given the 'lighter' feeling of STIV (the final version) it's possible he might have fitted in, at least in a minor part. Or not. Probably not...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... as a guy dressed in tight red spandex doing stand-up, and Spock would be fascinated by the way he laces his language with colorful metaphors, and then he would be all like "one motherfucking minute admiral" and it would be a riot!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According the DVD commentary, Murphy was only going to have a minor role in ST:IV and that it ultimately didn't materialise because he (or his agent) thought it would be better for his career if he stared in "The Golden Child" instead. Which is obviously what he did.
This seams believable enough to me since I find it doubtful that a mere letter writing campaign would scare a studio away from featuring a box office success (at the time anyway) like Murphy from a relatively low budget Sci-Fi film that he wanted to be apart of.
To my mind the only reason why the studio might drop him would be if he was asking for too much money, which in this case I also doubt.

I'd be very surprised if his supposed part would have been significant to the plot, probably just a cameo like Christian Slater's part in ST:VI.
Maybe he was going to be Gillian Taylor's boss, the Plexi-Glass guy or the bloke who sold Sulu the helicopter.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the story i read involved Murphy playing some kind of con-artist type rogue who would interact with Kirk & Co. in some way
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He would need a high Hide skill (+20) so as to avoid Spock's natural Detect mode.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now, shorely that's the 3E ruleset yer flauntin' there, son? *splort* *pling* [Big Grin] [Confused]
Triton
Member # 1043

Thanks for the information. I haven't had a chance to rent "The Voyage Home" yet. Its not one of my faves so I wasn't planing to replace my worn out VHS copy from the box set with a fresh DVD when the Director's Edition came out.

I have heard these rumors repeated so often over the years that they start to get a life of their own and begin to sound like fact. Heresay, or fan invention, has crept into the Trek production story so often. [Frown] It has gotten very difficult to separate the myth from the facts.

For example, did the US Navy really take a look at the TOS bridge set for ideas to improve the layout of bridges aboard ships? I never thought it was true, but I have heard it repeated so often.

I remember that Starlog reported the Eddie Murphy rumor, and I seem to recall many letters to the editor voicing displeasure of the casting decision.

There are times that I wish that we could send an e-mail, or make a telephone call, to Harve Bennett or Leonard Nimoy to prove or disprove get the real story about some of these things. The second best thing we have are commentary tracks recorded several years after the films release. It seems with time, the participants are more willing to be frank about the production and their experiences during the making of the movie.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest you read Shatner's Star trek Movie Memories which offers one version of events. There was no female love interest for Kirk, instead Murphy played a man who discovers their presence in the 20th century, first tries to expose them, then ends up helping them in their quest to get some whales. Apparently Paramount felt that to combine two of their biggest franchises - Trek plus Murphy - would end up as less than the sum of their parts, box-office wise. So the role survives as a female. . . er, whale-ologist?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"cetaceanist"? 8)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Cetologist", actually. A "cetaceanist" sounds like someone prejudiced against whales and dolphins.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keiko is stealing jobs from American Killer Whales. Grown in Arkansas. Probably. Or something.

Shatner & Murphy running down an alley to the Beverly Hills Cop Music. Or 48 Hours Music.

Whichever went: doo-do-doo-do-doo-do-DOO, doo-do-DO-do-do-do-doo-DOO.

They use it sometimes on The Simpsons when someone is being sneaky.

It is the sneaky theme.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A "cetaceanist" sounds like someone prejudiced against whales and dolphins.

Wouldn't that be rather a whale with prejudices against humans?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps