Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vulcanian Expedition

Author Topic: Vulcanian Expedition
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Court Martial, Kirk mentions the Vulcanian Expedition, as if it were an event much earlier in his career. (I am not concerned with the Vulcan/Vulcanis/Valcanian name issue.) Do we have an idea of what that expedition was about. I rather doubt the "discovery" of Vulcan by Earth. Do I remember something in a novel (Blish?) that the expedition was an early Federation or post-Romulan War United Earth effort to force the Vulcans into an allaince? Any ideas on this?

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was THE Vulcanian Expedition, I don't know.

If it was A Vulcanian Expedition, he could've just gone climbing Vulcan's Forge with his mates.

In what context did he mention it?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a comment made in passing, hardly worth any sort of in-depth speculation:

quote:

KIRK:
"Timothy, I haven't seen you since the Vulcanian expedition.

"Well, I see our graduating class from the academy
is well represented.

"Argan, Heller.

"How you doing, Mike?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sound like it could be just be an expedition done by Kirk's graduation class. Two weeks survival training in the Vulcan desert. Not necessarily followed by a live execution of Vulcan Love Slave Pt 2.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense.

Senior trip, survival class...end of story.

Lets close up shop. [Cool]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Wow. A Star Trek issue that is actually solved. That rarely happens.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never is so simple. MW Bonnano's "Strangers from the Sky" uses the concept for something grander: according to her, Starfleet during Kirk's early years got fed up with Vulcanian pacifism and sent a few gunboats to frighten them pointy ears into military co-operation. THAT is what is referred to as "The Vulcanian Expedition" in the history books. And that is what prompted the Vulcans to crew the Intrepid, a Starfleet ship.

Personally, I think Ms Bonnano was making a bit too much of the innocent side remark...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing Kirk's luck with the ladies, maybe Vulcania was a woman. And the expedition was... well... you know... Nookie.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps