Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Milky Way Galaxy

Author Topic: The Milky Way Galaxy
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for a high resolution top view of our galaxy, an artistic rendition rather than a photo of a similar galaxy. A related question is how many spiral arms can be distinguished. I have seen versions with four up to ten main arms.

Still another question is how void space actually is between the arms. While VOY: "Night" (read on before it's moved to the VOY forum again ) shows a really void space, yet not as large as the actual distance between the arms, there should be something similar on either side of Federation territory. In this case it should have been mentioned some time in TNG and DS9 episodes that there is a huge void space to cross until the Alpha and Beta Quadrant can be further explored. Moreover, galactic geography only works if all the Cardassian, Federation, Romulan, Klingon and other family members are entirely located in the same arm. If, apart from the 8000 or 10000 LY diameter of Fed space regions without stars would have to be crossed, it is even more incredible that such a territory can exist as one political unit.

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost - almost - asked why you didn't use a photo of our own galaxy. . . it's that kind of a day here. 8)

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind. Wrong thread... It must be one of those days...

[This message has been edited by Krenim (edited September 02, 1999).]

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, for a few moments, I agreed with you.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to see the most accurate galaxy-pic available.

------------------
God bless. (In case you just sneezed)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Was "Night" the episode w/ the Malon where they were crossing that completely void expanse? Because that couldn't have been the space between the galactic arms. If it were, there wouldn't be any stars near them, true, but there would be a huge band of distant stars all around them. Or do I just plain have the wrong episode? It wouldn't surprise me. I only recently started seeing some Voyager eps again after more than a year-long period w/o it, and I'm not even sure I'm seeing them in order... :-)

------------------
"There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."
-Pink Floyd, "Brain Damage"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, you've got the right episode, TSN.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be kinda hard to have a top view photo of the galaxy when u'd have to be a few hundred thousand light years away to take it.....

Actually, no one even knows for sure if our galaxy is really a spiral galaxy, u can'tknow for sure, so no ojne can know for sure how many spiral arms there might be. I think i knew of one estimate of about 5. The arms were named too, Earth was in the orion arm, the beta quadrant was made up of the sagitarius arm.

------------------
"Can I have a hug?"
-Dr. Evil

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: Your other thread was a completely Voyager-related question. This one isn't, since you're asking about TNG and DS9. TOS could have known about this too.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GRB: It was a 'joke.' Best get used to them, you'll see them quite often round here. . .
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I have found so far. Turn it by 180 degrees, and it's the usual view of the Trek galaxy. http://www.windows.umich.edu/the_universe/images/milky_way_top_jpg.html
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

And Tahna Los: You were right to move it. Sometimes a general question turns out to get specific.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at the picture* Hey, where's the Denkiri Arm? *L*

Oh, and I wonder why that one between the Perseus and Cygnus Arms doesn't have a name...

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps