Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Blast from the Past: The "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" Game!

Author Topic: Blast from the Past: The "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" Game!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just digging out a bunch of CD's from my old (and ancient) backups to take stock of what I've got in preparation for upgrading to Panther when it arrives at my house on Monday.

And lo and behold, I found on one of my ancient CD's from '99 a copy of "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary"! Curious, I fired it up. Not surprisingly, it still needs to run in the old Classic environment (on the Mac), but it works just fine -- not a glitch, not a snag! Sound and video still working without any skips or delays. I encountered a slight delay in moving the mouse around the screen during the space combat scenes, but that just might be my own fault, being out of practice. (I used to be able to blow four Romulan ships out of the sky in under five minutes! [Big Grin] )

Okay, so maybe the game looks seriously outdated considering the snazzy graphics we've got going these days. Also, the game forced me to revert back to "256 colors" mode when it opened. But considering that the program is over ten years old, I'd say that it's aged pretty damn well! I just may have to go through all those old scenarios again to see how well I remember all the little goodies.

Anyone else still have this game loaded on their drive? Maybe even playing it again once in a while?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have it upstairs, along with Judgement Rites. And I used to kick myself for not picking up the second hand copy of Judgement Rites with voice acting when it was in the second hand bin at game. Silly, silly me.

I'm too scared to load up either of them though, because I will work at it until I get them working, and I fear that could take a while.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I still have that on CD, and I'm sure I have the big fat floppies of it somewhere. I tried loading it a couple of years ago, IIRC, but I don't think it worked for some reason. I loaded from the CD, and laughed as I recalled how it took something like an hour to install that onto the computer when I'd first installed from the floppies. Ah, the good ole days.

In any case, though, I've got you beat . . . I recently discovered Commodore 64 emulators for the PC, and ended up finding the old C64 Trek game I used to play when I was little . . . a lot. The disk, "Star Trek: Evolution", came with three versions of the exact same game. Only the "Senior" version didn't suck, and actually looked decent (for a C64). It was just one of those old-fashioned Trek games kinda like vtrek (www.gamesdomain.com/directd/2052.html), where you have X long to destroy X dozen Klingon ships.

Come to think of it, I have no idea why I played it. I've always hated those games.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aya
Member # 1148

- posted      Profile for Aya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded it from a freeware/abandonware site the other day and love it. One of the best Trek games ever. [Smile]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lnk plz
Aya
Member # 1148

- posted      Profile for Aya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bhlegend.com/php/show.php3?game=1178
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just downloaded it.. I've never played it before, but it's really a nice game. Much better than Halo [Razz]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just downloaded it too. Looks good. I even downloaded a walkthroug guide - but can't for the life of me get past the following: "Use berries on synthesizer" and then obviously heal the sick people, then I can't "get skull key from glass case".

Please help as I've always wanted to play this game and now that I have the chance, my fun is being spoilt. [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb -- You're supposed to get the skull at the same time (or even before, maybe?) you use the synthesizer. As I recall, I just grabbed everything in the cabinet on the off chance it would help. Not the most diplomatic, but oh well. I'm sure it was returned off-screen before we left?

You know what I'd REALLY love to find somewhere? A copy of the old kids' game "Think Quick!" that my school's ancient Apple IIe had back in the late 80's. Not the most interesting of games, but it was quite popular in my class at the time. I'd love to play it again, just for the nostalgic value. I've searched around, but apparently I haven't been looking in the right places yet.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You know what I'd REALLY love to find somewhere? A copy of the old kids' game "Think Quick!"
Try this link:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4300

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaach... 25th Anniversary... when I saw this game, I was, like, "baby, where have you been all my life?". I enjoyed it very, very much. [Smile]

This game has aged well...

(I especially liked the fact that in every mission you had redshirt under your command that could be killed [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am stuck on the "Hikacked" story. My guide tells me to use phaser on welder, then use welder on scrap metal. HELP!

Also, anyone got a complete list of the keys and controls - I'm a little stumped on that one.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you try to play it without guide? It's much more fun that way.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
You know what I'd REALLY love to find somewhere? A copy of the old kids' game "Think Quick!"
Try this link:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4300

Thanks Spike -- I actually already found that one, but they only carry the DOS version. I don't do DOS. [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps