Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bel-zon? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bel-zon?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just browsing through the TNG scrips when I happened across this line.

quote:

PICARD
I cannot justify readjusting
history on the basis of saving
lives in war... shall I return
to Sarajevo and stop the
assassination of Archduke
Ferdinand... or go back to warn
Station-Salem Four of the Bel-zon
raid...

Aside from the fact it mentions another Salem Station being devistated, it caught my attention because I've never heard of this species before.
Did I miss something, or was this line just cut from the episode?
What is it about these Salem stations anyway?
They always seam to get attacked and have lines refering to them cut.

For those of you who might not know of the other Salem reference.
quote:

PICARD
(acknowledges)
We must measure the response
carefully, Number One. Or history
may remember Galorndon Core
alongside Pearl Harbor and Station
Salem-One... as the stage for
a bloody preamble to war.

Supposedly an early draft of 'Encounter at Farpoint' mentioned that an ancestor of Crusher was present for one of these attacks. Not sure which though.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You going to tell us which script the "Salem-Four" reference is from?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention it.
It was 'Yesterday's Enterprise', in the first conversation between Guinan and Picard.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...or go back to warn
Station-Salem Four of the Bel-zon raid..."

A defective can of Raid bug-spray (for killing Bel-Zon ants) exploded in the airlock resultingso in the death of the Federation President of that era.
Conspiracy theories abound of how the "magic nozzle" was able to pierce the President's head and torso....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible options:

1) The Salem stations are whipping boys and everybody seems to attack them.

2) In the rush to get Yesterday's Enterprise written, the writing team misremembered the earlier reference to Salem One (the most likely choice, it seems to me).

3) In the altered timeline, the attack which started the war was on Salem Four, and the unnamed species which attacked Salem One in the main timeline was the Bel-Zon (nothing to back this up, I admit, but of the three choices I've named I think it's the most fun).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bel-Zon could also be some kind of splinter cell extremists (Romulan or Klingon)out to start trouble like the Circle was.
No need to make them a race unto themselves.
The Salem bases could be outposts along the Neutral Zone and would be prone to occasional skirmishes from just about everyone.
Even the Tholians have no problen testing the Federation's resolve from time to time so anything goes....
Soon the Pakleds will be slaughtering Fed citizens for kicks too!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Bel-Zon could also be some kind of splinter cell extremists (Romulan or Klingon)out to start trouble..."

If S-Four was really S-One in disguise and its destruction led to war (as Picard hints at), then no, they couldn't be.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ancestor of Crusher's was supposed to have been present on Salem-One. I can't remember that line being spoken in Yesterday's Ent. though,. I'm thinking it must have been cut. But it's good enough reason for me to go back and watch that ep again tonight.

I would also bet that, assuming this line is present, it's a misremember of the Salem One reference.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bel-Zon?

B'Elanna-Kazon? [Smile]

Maybe in the alternate timeline, station Salem-1 was actually station Salem-4.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The change to the timeline occured well after the Salem incedent. It would have been uneffected.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that both references are correct, and both are referring to the same event. "Salem" may be a location, and it has at least four stations around it. Maybe Salem-4 was actually the first one attacked (thus, a time-traveller would want to warn them, not Salem-1), but Salem-1 is the one that's remembered like Pearl Harbor, because it's where the main standoff took place, or something.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other reference to Salem 1 was in "Family".

Jack Crusher:
We named you after Richard Wesley Crusher, my grandfather, who gave me my first flying lesson as a boy. You come from a fine family... of scholars, explorers, artists... your great-great grandfather was a painter whose work once hung in the Prado... We've had a skeleton or two in our closet... someday, I'll tell you about the Crusher who was a horse thief on Nimbus Three... but we also had our share of family heroes... a Crusher fought for the Confederacy at Bull Run. One died at Station Salem One. It's a proud heritage, Wesley.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

A horse thief on Nimbus Three? That's interesting.

quote:
2) In the rush to get Yesterday's Enterprise written, the writing team misremembered the earlier reference to Salem One (the most likely choice, it seems to me).
That seams the most likely explanation to me.
Still someone obviously had a particular history in mind to try and slip this reference in on at least three seperate occasions, I'd like to know what it was about.
I know that some people on this board are occasionally intouch with Okuda, perhaps he knows, or at least knows someone who knows about this.

I suppose the Bel-Zon War (assuming there was one) could be anything from a pre-fed Earth conflict, to the war that made Garth of Izar so famous, culminating with the Battle of Axanar...actually I quite like that idea.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*chuckle* Little pointer to Ron Moore. Bull Run was the Union/Northern name for the battle/location. The Confederates called it by its proper name, Manassas. Given his pride in his family history, Jack wouldn't have screwed that up.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, history being written by the victors and all, it may be that, by the 2300s, "Bull Run" is the accepted name, and "Manassas" is something only historians specializing in nineteenth-century North America would know about.

After all, Starfleet can't be too big on US Civil War history, or they would have ships called Monitor and Virginia, not Monitor and Merrimac(k).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps