Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Deep Space Nine: Unity

Author Topic: Deep Space Nine: Unity
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finished reading the final installment of the DS9 book's eight book story arc tonight and am happily amazed.
It's characterizations (in all the books) has been very true to the series and would have been an excellent eighth season after the Dominion War.

For those that have been waiting (as I have) all year for Unity to come out, it resolves all the plot threads from the previous books (including why Weyoun was SO conviently there to rescue Jake Wex and Opaka) and starts new character based plot threads for when they decide to make more books.
The book is not "to be continued" so it'll probably be a while before we see anything though.

These are some of the only truly great Star Trek novels I've read (I have gripes with character aspects in almost all the TNG stuff) and I really reccomend them.

Anyone else read this yet?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I agree totally, and I can't wait for the next books in the story (the three "Worlds of Deep Space Nine" dual novels) to come out.

Actually, I've found the majority of books that have come out since the end of DS9 to be of superior quality.

Check out JG Hertzler (Martok)'s "Left Hand of Destiny" Duology, as well as the new "IKS Gorkon" series by Keith R.A. DeCandido, and the "Lost Era" books.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be in Gen Trek...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curse you Topher! You moved this just as I was writing a GREAT reply!
(shakes fist at screen)

As I was saying:

Do you know who is writing those Worlds of DS9 books you mentioned?
Hopefully SD Perry.

I read the Lost Era books Serpents Among The Ruins and Art of the Impossible and loved both of them: they're just great Trek.

Buuuuut, the Lost Era book with Enterprise C is not very good so far.
It's a "chick episode" in book form in the first four chapters all they do is go on and on and on abour Garrett's relationship with her Betazoid ex-husband and her halfbreed kid and then switch to her vacationing XO and his girlfreind's problems with commitment and his secrets, then switch to Garrett's dead former XO and the relationship Garrett had with him and then back to her current XO...
Well, you get the idea.

For a real laugh, read the two part "Homecoming" books about Voyager.
I read them on the plane to and from San Fran and laughed out loud as the terrible characterizations and cookie-cutter Voyager template story.
It was awful. Awful funny no less.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they really better than other novels? I've read a few, and while some are entertaining Star Trek stories, none of them are good books. I have two Susan Wright novels (The Best and the Brightest and Gateways Part I) which are really bad examples. They are filled with pointless trivia pulled from the Encyclopedia, to fake some sort of continuity. But it comes accross as "Look at me! I have read the Enclyclopedia!". And the stories just drown in technobabble and details I don't want to know.

Are these novels any better?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Gateways was terrible overall, but the DS9 stuff was very good.

Yes,the DS9 books ARE that good.
Read the two part DS9 books Avatar.
It re-launches the series, introduces all the new cast and supporting characters and starts the story arc that eventually ends in Unity.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to get round to reading the Millenium trilogy. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Those are great as well and set the overall tone for the Avatar series (allthough the story itself starts a week before Emmissary and concludes somewhere in the middle of the Dominion War).

Has anyone read the DS9 anthology that recently came out called Prophecy and Change ?
The first story was very well written but I jumped ahead to the Dax story and it's kinda dull so far.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Worlds of Deep Space Nine" books

Current and upcoming Star Trek books

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Coolness! Thanks!

Man, this is the single worst book cover I've seen in several years: http://www.psiphi.org/images/XSCE000033-big.jpg

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The SCE books (such as that one) don't really get covers, as they're E-books.

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SCE books are really crappy. Am I just imagining it or is one of the officers gay??

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH NO!!!
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JA, what did you think of "Vendetta"?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

it was good for it's time but after re-reading it, I find a LOT of implausable aspects.
The lack of other ships becoming involved in the fight and the idea of Enterprise and an Excelsior class tractoring a Cube is a bit much.
Still, I love the part where the Tholians attack the Cube and the depiction of Dantar's assimilation at the book's begining is amazingly well written.
That's saying a LOT considering my current POV on Peter David's writing.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps