Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek: The New Voyages is out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek: The New Voyages is out
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first of The New Voyages is out and it's just gosh darn cool!
http://www.5yearmission.com/STNV_WEB_files/index1.htm
This fan made show takes off where the original TOS show left off, but with lots fo newer things that they didnt have in TOS, like these trailerss and pics:
http://www.5yearmission.com/STNV_WEB_files/making.htm

The actual show is in five large downloads, but even teh trailers are worth looking at.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, they got John Winston, Eddie Paskey, and Larry Nemecek.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. That was truly wretched. Very pretty sets and CGI, but the acting was absolutely turgid. Even Starship Exeter had better acting! And every single one of those "cute" references and cribbings of lines from other episodes/films made me cringe.

But yes, the cameos were sort of neat. And the use of Franz Joseph's designs.

Fan films give me indigestion, but I do find myself wishing that Paramount would revisit the TOS era someday...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. the main cast is terrible (what part of Scotland is this Scotty from!?).

It sufferes from the same things that most novels and all other fanmovies suffer from. Too many little references, and to much stuff happening in one episode. But at least they managed to stay away from technobabble overload, and actually tried to do character-stuff.

They did a CGI version of Starbase 11? We want more!

And yes, it would be cool to see this done with proper actors and a proper budget.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they lift that Romulan ale scene verbatim from an actual episode? I'm sure I recognize the lines...
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They lifted a ton of lines verbatim. Not only did they take the Romulan Ale bit from Trek 3, but also the "irritating game of chess" bit from "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

The production was pretty crappy. They obviously had only a few small lights to use because in wide shots areas of the sets fell off into shadow. Especially amusing was that they clearly didn't check their shots on a video monitor with underscan, because in a lot of shots you can see the edge of the set on the left or right, and can see out the top of their bridge and transporter sets as well in a few shots.

The CGI shots were so different in composition to the live action photography that they didn't feel like they belonged in the show together.

The script, well, sucks. I didn't care for it much when it was "The Mighty Galvanaut" for Starship Exeter (someone took it from that group to the New Voyages guys and then reworked it somewhat), and I like it even less in this form. Frankly, it's a great example of why most fan films suck. Specifically, a lot happens, but nothing happens. In other words, there are a lot of scenes, but there's no plot progression, no thematic development, no character arcs, and not even a problem to be solved. The characters react like exasperated teenagers, and, worse, behave incompetently. Example: there's an alien entity in the transporter room that zaps Jerkov and Umfufu (I won't dignify these changelings by using the real character names), so next thing you know Nurse Chapstick and Welshy are sitting on the transporter underneath it. DOH!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I have only downloaded the trailer for the series and the one for the actual episode.
Actually I quite liked what I saw. Ok, the acting is crap, but I have NEVER seen a fan made film with GOOD acting. But the effects are neat and the sets are also nice. I will certainly give it a try and download the episode...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those addicted to Bit Torrent...

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/970/st_nv_ep1-zip.torrent

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldnt it be more enjoyable to just replace the SFX shots in actual TOS episodes with their CGI?
I'd actually download those...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Wouldnt it be more enjoyable to just replace the SFX shots in actual TOS episodes with their CGI?
I'd actually download those...

Not with their CGI! Their CGI isn't that good. TOS episodes with Trial and Tribbleations looking FX... that I might go for.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's not CGI you know!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they went the DS9 route, the incredible new models of the Enterprise and D-7 are still readily available.
I'd buy Special edition seasons of TOS for with the new VFX shots.....mabye it's something UPN could even air after Enterprise is competed....

Pipe dream, I know but as long as we're wishing...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS shouldn't be modernized, for the same reasons Star Wars shouldn't have been.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

I'm torn on the subject.

On the one hand I don't want TOS to be messed around with. After all the "quaint" look is part of the series' charm. At least to me.

On the other hand I'm always thinking how much better the series could look with effect as per "Trials and Tribbleations"

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pain! I just skipped around looking for the effects, since the acting was just too horrid. And what's up with giving Kirk some Elvis-inspired bangs?

B.J.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps