Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Starships & Technology.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Nature of Trek Weapons.

Author Topic: The Nature of Trek Weapons.
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've been on my computer for about three solid days rewriting my site. In between moments of fury at HTML, I began thinking about the weapons in Trek.

Specifically, we have seen several weapons used that have basicly the same end result; vaporization of the target. Examples:

TOS: I remember the episode where Kirk Nukes Roc the android.
ST2: Terrell vapes himself
ST3: Kruge vapes Lieutenant "Lucky Shot"
ST6: Valeris vapes a kitchen pot

And I know there are a lot more. What I am wondering is this, How does it know what to vaporize and when to stop? Does it envelop the target on contact and then dematerialize it? If so, then where does the effect stop? Why wouldn't it vaporize the ground or deck the target was standing on? If you are going to say that it chain reacts with what it hits and what that is touching, then there should still be the boots and jock strap etc. that wasn't hit by the beam.

I would think it more likely that these weapons would vaporize a hole straight through at the point of contact. Yes, I realize that it is cleaner and cheaper FX wise to just have it all go away, but if you are going to have that happen then you need a viable explanation for the effect.

I know this is nit-picky stupid but I was up REAL late and the mind does funny things after too much HTML. At least I haven't bolded, all caps, and italicized every other word in this post! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tech forum, no?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. Why not.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps