Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Well how long til the Earth-Rommy War? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Well how long til the Earth-Rommy War?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my pants?
To be certain. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
When? Where? By whom? Eh? Eh?
In the ST Encyclopedia written by Michael Okuda. Moreover, the Horizon's (Sisko's model) registry is very close to the Essex's registry.
The same Encyclopedia that showed us what a Romulan ship in the 22nd century would look like?

I couldn't read the registry on Sisko's model, not having super amazing vision. Besides, what does that prove? Sisko could have given it any registry he wanted. Perhaps the one he used was his lucky number, or something?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prophecy selfFulfilling = new Prophecy;
selfFulfilling = "I had too much to think last night."

Homework plus not disappointing expectations all in one post.

(On topic: Technically, there isn't even, necessarily, any proof that the war between Earth and Romulus came prior to the founding of the Federation, considering how many other early TOS references to "Earth" have been happily retrofitted. Though I would not personally consider this the most enjoyable storytelling choice.)

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging bye abuse here...am I the only one who actiely likes the Daedalus?

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Daedalus. I think the debate is whether or not the model everyone assumes is the Daedalus class is actually the Daedalus class.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Partly. I also think that the debate is whether the Daedalus is a fucking ugly design that would look awful and out of place on Enterprise, or...not.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Yes, it would look out of place. But I think it fits right in with a design lineage based on TOS' Enterprise. And I still think a revamp of the design based on Enterprise's design could work. There's a guy over at Scifi-Meshes that was working on one. It looked darn yummy.

Do I think it will show up in Enterprise? No. There's no way that they will introcduce a more advanced ship than Enterprise during the series.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mistake of enterprise is that the NX-01 looks TOO familiar. It really isn't much of a retrograde design from the Constitutions.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I really, really can't believe I'm having this discussion again. Hopefully Lee will wander in soon, summerise everything, and then start kicking bottom.

However...

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
But I think it fits right in with a design lineage based on TOS' Enterprise.

How on Earth can you have a design lineage based on one ship?

quote:
And I still think a revamp of the design based on Enterprise's design could work. There's a guy over at Scifi-Meshes that was working on one. It looked darn yummy.

That may be true. But every single one I've ever seen has looked, well, horrible. The Pasteur was about as good as that design could have been made, and that wasn't exactly nice to look at.

quote:
Do I think it will show up in Enterprise? No. There's no way that they will introcduce a more advanced ship than Enterprise during the series.

Agreed. Especially since it would look a lot less advanced than the NX-01.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Daedalus very much. It has a wondeful "retro" feel to it of something that really came a century before the NCC-1701.

That being said, the NX-01 has grown on me quite a bit since it first appeared, and I now like the design much better than the Akira. Still, it doesn't look very primitive. It's passable, I'm not in any uproar about it like some, but they really could have done more (if only with the textures and surface detailing) to make it look more "retro."

I wouldn't mind at all seeing a slightly (emphasis on slightly) revamped version of the Daedalus on ENT later in the series. So long as they kept the fundamental elements of the design and didn't go to far from the model, I wouldn't be upset over it. But I definitely would like to see it in some form.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preferably like a smoldering, barely identifiable wreck. B)
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the neck on the purported Daedalus model telescopes! yeah...

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Preferably like a smoldering, barely identifiable wreck. B)

Agreed.

While the deadalus was okay to look at prior to Enterprise, we now have much better looking pre-TOS starship designs to choose from.

The "oildrum with nacelles" can be discarded from continuity as far as I'm concerned....or at least saved for the era just prior to TOS.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

quote:
How on Earth can you have a design lineage based on one ship?
Simple. In the real world, design lineage works forward. It's natural. Over time, we see how the design of an object or vehiclke developes. When you're making the whole friggin' thing up, and you have to work backwards, you have to base it on *something*. So you take the TOS Enterprise and work backwards from it making up a design lineage based on the element you already have established. And that's what I meant. The Daedalus, to me, looks like a good precursor to the E-nil... until you throw in the NX-01 as a precursor to the Daedalus. Then it doesn't.

Kick away, Lee.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the deadalus was okay to look at prior to Enterprise...

Correction: it was never okay to look at. B)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps