Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Character bios from the Starship Creator CD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Character bios from the Starship Creator CD
Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question. I was attempting to transcribe or export all of the biographies from the Starship Creator CD-Rom and I am having a hell of a time doing it. Is there a website or a resource that is available? I have done a lot of searching on the net for myself. The reason why I need these bios is they have starships and bio info (non-canical I know but useful) that is helpful in a massive website update I am currently working on. Any and all help is appreciated and thanked in advance. [Smile]

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to transcribe the info from the CD, but I'd be careful, as you could be treading on copyright laws if you rip text straight from their disk.

Just a thought.

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am aware of the copyright laws and I had every intention of naming the source as wel as not infringe on them. I just need the basic text of all the major and minor characters listed from both the TOS and TNG/DS9/VOY eras for completeness. I am also go to tweak the wording and such as to not plagerize any one's work. Again, this is only for fun and info, nothing more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, tweaking the info would make things worse, not better, because you're creating what's known as a "derivative work." Alongside most of the other stuff that goes on (i.e. Trek fanfic) it's debatable about how big a problem it really is, but since (AFIK) they're still selling "Starship Creator," you could get in deep doo-doo for giving away what they're selling.

Just sounding a note of caution.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the extended bios of the crews and the extra starship listings there, like the USS Sulaco - Capt. Hicks, and a few other injokes. Many new ship names and NCC numbers, but no classes.

I had Barclay's bio typed out somewhere. I couldn't access them from the CD so I was going to have to type them all out. I didn't get past Barclay. I consider that stuff semi-canonical in the fact that Okuda wrote it and used info he already created for the Encyclopedia entries to fill in information there.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

Thanks for the warnings. It looks like I am going to have to piecemea everything from Startrek.com (which looks like everyon steals and/or borrows from), my own wording and basic presentation of the information (mildly canonical) as best as I can. I have no desire or intention to get in trouble for copyright infringment. It is going to be a while anyway until I can even update the site. I have a huge photoshop load I have to do first before I put the pages together. If anyone is interested, I made classes and registry numbers for the ships listed as I need those for the completeness of my records. Let me know, I can post them or if you havedone that yourself, good jod [Big Grin]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let me know, I can post them or if you havedone that yourself
Well, I haven't exactly done it myself, but it can be done at Memory Alpha... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I had no problems with "exporting" character bios from [i]Starship Creator[/i}. It's a matter of finding the file that contains them and removing formatting chars.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was looking too and no luck either...

--------------------
Stephen L.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is SSC any good - i heard it was craptacular?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weeell... It has those fun char bios... and starship MSDs... and you can install various systems and see where they go on MSD... and kitbash your own ship and see it as crappy 3D shape... but other than that, it's rather boring [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

The MSDs are fully scalable too...you can zoom in an insane amount. Like a Starfleet symbol on a side view can be zoomed in until you can't even see the red oval and can only see the white symbol itself.

--------------------
Stephen L.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it's worth... how much? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, by now you can get them real cheap off, say eBay.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd be interested in having those in a readable format.. they featured some bitchin photoshopped pics of everybody, gave some anonymous crewman names, or fitst names or even middle initials.. i recall seeing some interesting details in those. id be interested in ripping it so i can read it for curiousity, to reference it, not to republish it

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps