Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Thoughts on the "demise" of television... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thoughts on the "demise" of television...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might remember the offhand reference in an early TNG episode where one of the characters stated that television died out as an entertainment medium sometime around the 2040's. (It might have been in "The Neutral Zone," but I'm not positive.)

There was a recent article on Ars Technica that made me think about possible reasons for the demise of television. (One of the problems that I've had to wrestle with, personally, is that we've been recently introducing television-like programming into our Renaissance stories, especially with the introduction of Lewis Carter, the resident news reporter. But television in the Trek universe seems at odds with what we've seen before.)

Anyway... what if they were referring primarily to television as a separate entity from the Internet? I can easily foresee normal broadcast television and even the cable networks dying out within the next several decades, as everything gets integrated into one massive medium that we currently call the Internet. Heck, there was something called the "Net" in DS9's "Past Tense" two-parter, which seemed to incorporate some kind of television-type medium as well.

It seems to me that we're already on a major trend towards some kind of conglomeration that incorporates computers, data transmission and storage, information browsing, and mass communication in multimedia formats.

Does this make sense to anyone else? That television doesn't really "die", but is just rolled into something bigger?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have to assume that's what Data meant when he said televison didn't last past whatever date he mentioned. As you said, we saw "The Net" still in use in "Past Tense" which definitely include and television-like componant. We also saw Janeway watching a news broadcast in "Endgame".

Archer watches water polo games that have evidently been broadcast or at least recorded.

Personally, I think the line in Neutral Zone about television disappearing was moronic. It was a first season attempt to show how much the world had changed and grown. They've obviously though better of it since then.

Perhaps we can assume that Data meant "entertainment" television such as sitcoms and fictional dramas. Educational and news services probably became more popular, perhaps with the advent of interactive forms of holographic entertainment.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why can't I hit the right button? i think i need to eat.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

whoops.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an interesting take on it....one I hadn't considered. I had always assumed Data was inferring either World War III or some other war (aftermath of the Eugenics) cut television off and that once society began to rebuild, TV wasn't the priority in everyone's lives anymore and then never really caught on again (maybe a few generations went by without television) and just news services and such were all that TV became.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Perhaps we can assume that Data meant "entertainment" television such as sitcoms and fictional dramas. Educational and news services probably became more popular, perhaps with the advent of interactive forms of holographic entertainment.

That always struck me as stupid too. Doesn't Kim say "you just watch it, you don't interact" in one episode of Voyager? As if these people had never read a book. Or are all novels in the future only available in "Choose Your Own Adventure" format?

"If you want Romeo to take the poison, turn to page 12. If you want him to get over Juliet, and start up a bakery, turn to page 45"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim kind of represented the extreme of a kid who was raised by protective parents on Earth and probably didn't ever leave the planet until his first training cruise. He didn't know what automobiles were. He didn't know what non-interactive storytelling was. He probably led a very sheltered life -- sort of a 24th-century computer nerd.

Which reminds me of one of my irks of the DS9 relaunch. Quark laments the prospect of Bajor joining the Federation because the Federation has a moneyless economy. Wrong. EARTH (and probably other Terran colonies, dependent or in-) doesn't use money any more, but we have ample evidence that the Federation does.

Too many potentially cool elements get misinterpreted by later writers, and everything becomes a hopeless mess that we have to sort out. Due to things like TiVo, DVD-R, and other non-live entertainment options being introduced, and the development of open-air (not holographic) image projection technology, television, movies, and the internet as immersive/interactive media become almost inevitable, and would almost certainly replace sitting there watching a flat image after a few decades.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That always struck me as stupid too. Doesn't Kim say 'you just watch it, you don't interact' in one episode of Voyager? As if these people had never read a book."

Unless it was like the same arguements one hears against television today: how it doesn't stimulate the imagination the way a book does. You just sit there and let the images and dialogue soak into your brain without thinking. With a book, you have to picture the action for yourself. And then, with something like a holodeck, you can see and hear everything like you would on TV, but there's still the mental stimulation of having to react and respond to what's going on.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in "Future's End". Kes and Neelix were monitoring TV signals, and Kim expressed bafflement at just watching a story that you couldn't interact with.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see television replaced with holovision as the coice for entertainment, with higher definitions and all.

I also don't think they ment earth, but starfleet, that doesn't use money.... We have seen some jobs that are bad, the 'new' use for the EMH1's, doing that kind of work cause it makes me feel good about myself just doesn't sit right.

Then, if a person from earth decides to travel to another planet, Risa, he/she can't, for they are broke.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Federation does at all. Many a time on TOS and TNG and DS9 they may have mentioned credits - and to other non-members that they don't have a monetary system. Jean-Luc in Insurrection had a sneering contempt for "Gold-pressed Latinum".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet Tuvok bought his meditation lamp off of a Vulcan master who was entrepreneur enough to hike the price when he saw a Starfleet uniform.
Also Jake clearly says that he doesn't have money because he's human.

As for high definition holovision, I think it was pretty clearly stated in "Flashback" that 23rd century holographics were of a pretty low resolution (remember the biplane game in ST III?) so much so that Janeway failed to recognise Sulu from his holo-portrait.

Personally I think the demise of television has more to do with it's fusion with the internet and global communications than the devise it was viewed on. If you think about it with a net based broadcast system the idea of set program schedules would be a thing of the past, in it's place you'd have a huge archive of back programming and downloadable movies to watch on demand (just like we have today [Wink] ) while new programs will be released as the studio chooses to release them, for people to watch whenever they like...probably on a pay-per-view basis, or a network subscription fee.
I'm not sure what's available in the states or the rest of the world but here in the UK there's this service available called Sky+ which can automatically record your favourite programs onto a set-top box's hard drive for playback whenever you like and it can even pause live TV. So you see that this 'demise' of 20th century style television is closer to reality than some might think.

Of course by the 24th century people throughout the Federation get all this for free since news still happens and there are obviously still journalists around recording events to be broadcast and stored in Memory Alpha, or something similar for everyone to view at their leisure.
I agree that Harry Kim is a particular case in that he was raised on Earth which in the 24th Century is about the most sheltered place in the Galaxy. However this is somewhat contradicted in "Year of Hell" where Kim is familiar with the film version of "To Catch a thief".
Perhaps when the holodecks went down the crew resorted to watching the old movie archive on PADDs to pass the time. The fact that Torres had seen a holographic version can be accounted for by her stay on the Federation's frontier.
Actually I forget, was she raised on Earth too or on a colony?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can safely chalk this one up to the unprecedented onslaught of technology since 1987.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Rev: Sky+ sounds like the UK's version of TiVo. Basically the same thing, as far as I know. You can record programs, pause live tv, and store up to so many shows for later viewing.

TiVo joins the long list of services I don't buy, such as cable, satellite, netflicks, etc.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I want to watch a movie later, I use the back age thing called a VCR.... Which I can actually set the time on....

Also, I guess I was screwing up my time frames a bit, picturing the TNG holodeck..... I was a couple hundred years off it seems...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps