Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Riley, no Scotty ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Riley, no Scotty ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Scotty.

So, if Riley was to be isolated, wouldn't he be under watch by someone, so that if the Karidians did go after him, someone would know about it? The episode leaves the impression that the only reason Riley survived was that Uhura and the guys on the rec-dec heard him going "gaaaah ... gaaaaah" and called for McCoy. Also, if Riley was being watched (by Kirk, or security), wouldn't security have intercepted Karidian's daughter as she left?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm.. coffee flavored milk..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best count over the years of character absences, I of course could be totally wrong, but at one time I had a pretty accurate list so at least or possibly at most:

Season 1 (29 eps, not counting "The Cage" and counting "Menagerie" as two):
- No Sulu in 11 of 29
- No Scotty in 10 of 29
- No Uhura in 3 of 28 (minus WNMHGB)
- No McCoy in 3 of 28 (minus WNMHGB)
- Chapel is seen in 3 of 29
- Rand is seen in 8 of 29
- Mr. Leslie is seen in at least 11 of 29
- Mr. Kyle is seen in at least 4 of 29

Season 2 (26 eps):
- No Sulu in 9 of 26
- No Chekov in 4 of 26
- No Uhura in 3 of 26
- No Scott in 3 of 26
- Chapel is seen in 10 of 26
- Lt. Kyle is seen in at least 9 of 26

Season 3 (24 eps):
- No Chekov in 8 of 24
- No Sulu in 5 of 24
- No Uhura in 5 of 24
- Scott appears to have been in all episodes.
- Chapel is seen in 12 of 24

Most of this list, of course was collected without use of references so there may be a number of oversites. Nevertheless there's the ballpark figures.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle doesn't appear in season 3 at all?

And what about Galloway? Wasn't he in a few episodes?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the actor was, if that's who I think it is.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galloway played a couple of characters, since he was called a few different names and died once.

Same with Leslie. there's an awesome page that keeps track of his appearances, but i can't find the link. it was a members.aol.com page.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Kyle doesn't appear in season 3 at all?

And what about Galloway? Wasn't he in a few episodes?

Kyle was in at least 1 episode (Lights of Zetar) in season 3, but I havent seen that season as much as the first 2 to know for sure.

As for Lt. Galloway:
David L. Ross
Lt. Galloway - Turnabout Intruder (1969)
Lt. Johnson - Day of the Dove (1968)
Lt. Galloway - The Omega Glory (1968)
Guard - The Trouble With Tribbles (1967)
Lt. Galloway - The City on the Edge of Forever (1967)
Lt. Galloway - A Taste of Armageddon (1967)
Guard - The Return of the Archons (1967)
Transporter Chief - The Galileo Seven (1967)
Lt. Galloway - Miri (1966)
Guard (uncredited) - Dagger of the Mind (1966)

I seriously overlooked a number of 'Leslie' (and 'Connors' in 2 eps) apppearances..this is much more accurate:

Season 1 - 22 appearances (of those: 2 as 'Connors', 1 as 'Eminar Guard')
Season 2 - 17 appearances
Season 3 - 4 appearances
So thats 43 total.

If you are really interested...and this was quite a reach to find but if you go to: http://www.eddiepaskey.com/

There you can find the following facts:

quote:
Eddie Paskey rarely had anything to say, but as Lt. Leslie he appeared in roughly half of all the original series episodes. If you don't know who he is, watch the episode "This Side of Paradise." He's the guy waiting to transport down to the planet who commits mutiny in front of Captain Kirk. Eddie had a great career on the Enterprise. He's been seen wearing a gold, blue, and red shirt. He died and came back to life in the same episode (Obsession). He's been Spock pinched. He's been the navigator and is one of only a handful of people to ever sit in the con. He even played "Mr. Connors", one of McCoy's medical assistants!

But, how did he get the name "Lt. Leslie"? This was a result of his friendship with William Shatner. During a scene in which Eddie was at the helm, Bill felt that he should have a name since he was to issue a command to Eddie. Thus, he became "Mr. Leslie" named after Shatner's oldest Daughter, Leslie!

and

quote:
In "Where No Man Has Gone Before", he was a background actor, playing a guard. When the series sold, he began appearing regularly. This led to him being used in actual scenes, as a stand-in for William Shatner during scene set-ups, and often as a stand-in for Shatner in long shots.

He can be seen in nearly every episode from the first two seasons as well as a few from the third. He played many scenes as a "red shirt", usually the first to die when exploring a planet. He is the only one though, to have died in one episode ("Obsession") and returned in the next! This was due to to the fact that a scene from the script that was never shot indicated that the victims were brought back to life!

It was during the third year of the series that Eddie decided it was time to retire from Star Trek. He had been having cluster headaches that were further aggravated by the set lighting. In a scene in which he received a "Spock pinch" and was thrown against a railing, he felt his back go out. At this point, Eddie knew he could no longer handle the job's activities.

There is also a list but Im not sure it is as complete as my own...but then again, i wasnt there, so who knows.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out that Galloway dies in "The Omega Glory", but is still in "Turnabout Intruder". At least that explains why no-one was too upset when a red-shirt died in the original series...they'd just assume that bad continuity would bring them back to life at a later point.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps neither air date nor production date produce the proper viewing order.

(On edit: "nor" always seems stuck-up to me.)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched "The Naked Time" ...

Two things. The crewman who first contracts the disease, and then kills himself, has only the dotted-band rank insignia. Could this be a lieutenant (jg) marker?

Second: at the end of the episode, when the camera pans up, if you look to the left, you'll see that the crew pulled away the bridge walkway, and you can see the wood structure underneath the set.

I didn't notice either of these bits before, but I'm sure you all have and will now ridicule me. Asses.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On edit: 'nor' always seems stuck-up to me."

Well, there's always "xor"...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Xon. [Smile]

Wasn't Kyle on the Reliant? or was that Leslie?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was meant to be Kyle, I believe. He's even credited by name I think.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just credited. He actually says in the film "Captain Terrel, this is Commander Kyle, please respond...." One thing I thought was cool about this cameo was that he had a little beard, nice continuity with the animated episode "Beyond the Farthest Star," in which Kyle sported a moustache.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He probably had a beard because he had a beard. And they probably gave him a moustache because it'd decrease the animated character's resemblance to the actor and it would therefore be cheaper.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps