Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Data painting, subdividing a square

Author Topic: Data painting, subdividing a square
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall Data doing a painting at some point, a square divided in half, one of the halves being divided in half, one of those halves being divided, ad infinitum. I think that painting was a duplicate of a real painting. Anybody know if it was, and if so, what the painting was?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether it was a copy of a real one or not, it was definitely in the style of a real artist. I can't remember his name off the top of my head, though. Data was always doing stuff in the style of one famous artist or another. I seem to remember a Cubist painting of a cat... in Generations I think.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it was a square? It wouldn't happen to be the Golden Rectangle, would it?

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak to the specific painting you remember, but as far as modernist geometry-type things go, I seem to recall Data spending a lot of time painting faux-Mondrians.

There's no website obsessively focused on Data's paintings, alas, but there are a couple out there with some examples.

http://www.stim.com/Stim-x/0996September/Eyebot/datapainting-intro.html

Bernd has a few images: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/various-decoration1.htm

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mondrian is the artist I was thinking of.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it that painting with a white background and red and black lines from the later TNG seasons? I know it reminded me of Mondrian's since it looks similar to the Los Angeles Couty Museum of Art's.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is anyone willing (and able) to make nice DVD screencaptures of diverse paintings done by Data? I mean, bridges are fine, but what the people really want are websites full of Star Trek-related artworks.
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still looking for a copy of old yellow eyes is back

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be sorry....

You're far better off with the James Darren CD.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, is James Darren related in any way to Bobby Darrin? I always wondered about that...

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well just by the way you spelled you should have figured out that Darren and Darrin were not brothers

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, not brothers... I dunno. It just seemed like a coincidence.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

"Oh that shark, babe, with those teeth, dear..."
Good stuff. Don't make it like that anymore.

[Smile]

--------------------
-Lewis Carrol

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but thats probably due to laws that have since been passed.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mondrian rocks!

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps