Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Story Ideas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: New Story Ideas
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since its patently obvious the current trek production staff are about as insightfull as a Pakled withdrawing from White, the bright cats on this board should start prompting them with ideas of their own.
A story i started knocking together a couple of years back but couldn't be arsed finishing was about a fleet of Fed ships that flee a battle with the dominion (possibly the 7th) believing all is lost and escape through a wormhole which also happens to send them back in time a millenia (a la Red Dwarf episode something or other) their offspring then return to reclaim the Federation from the Dominion, only to find they didn't win afterall and instead become a rival for the real Federation. In their absence they'd developed their own culture and technology, and were basically a Federation with an alien ideology. I freely admit it was inspired by the clans from Mechwarrior, the human offspring of Korenski who preached 'the rights of the traveller and the reasons for exodus' and were intent on reclaiming earth.

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Because we know so much more about television than the people who actually make a living from it.

But since it's been a while since we had a thread like this, I'll play along.

Frankly, I don't think any 'conservative' spaceship-series is going to work anymore. All has been said and done (multiple times) on that front.

I also feel that the current ST Universe is completely bogged down on trivia and technobabble. There simply is too much continuity. Perhaps a comic-like 'reboot' of the franchise might be a good idea. Start from scratch, focus on just a few ideas, resist the Alien-of-the-Week urge. You can focus on stories, and forget about the pointless details.

OTOH, I haven't got a clue.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the only thing left is "Time Trek". Just about every other storyline has been used/abused beyond salvage. An Academy theme wouldn't last long,IMO, to few story possibilities. It's apparent that anything pre-TNG is going to have trouble fitting in, just like "Enterprise" did. I would almost rather they did a TOS era series with another starship and crew.

OR.... they could do a Fed-Expedition to pick up the Kelvans. Have them get REALLY lost so that there isn't a way home PERIOD and create there own federation. Trouble is that everything that gets proposed seems derivative of something else.

Maybe its time for Trek to boldly go into the Black Hole of no more series.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferengiiiii.... innnnn... SPAAAAAAAAAACCCCEEE....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a trek set in the mirror universe. It wouldn't focus some much on storylines, but on how far they could push the envelope. Hell it could even be on HBO, and we would be free to stuff it with loads of cussin, violence, and nudity. It would be the trek I always envisioned with the hookers and the blackjack.

But if that fails, there's always the "Tholian Love Connection".

But in all seriousness I think we should start from square one again. Come up with new alian races with the possiblility of sacrificeing old ones like vulcans and klingons. Also the Federation shouldn't be so politically correct and should be more realistic to the behavior of humans. It should have many faults like preaching peace and tolerance while committing sordid business or starting unjust wars.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered if an expansive total reboot of the series might not be best. Wipe EVERYTHING, start at the beginning, and re-do it all. Keep what elements work well, but make the whole thing massively multi-threaded over all 300 years of history that we've seen.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've enjoyed the Star Trek: SCE (Starfleet Corps of Engineers) series of e-books and would love to see a series based on it or something similar (e.g. Starfleet Engineers boldly going where others have gone before in order to fix what they screwed up or analyze what they discovered). However, I doubt there would be enough people interested in such a show to keep it going.

You could always base a show on an alien crew. This has been done in the Star Trek novels: the I.K.S. Gorkon novel series follows a Klingon starship.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars Needs Women: "But in all seriousness ..."
Wait a minute... I'm not going to agree to that.

Omega: Wipe EVERYTHING
Then why even bother to call it Star Trek?

If nothing about it remains Trekish, then they should just come up with another franchise. Otherwise it's just name dropping. So with as much absurd onesidedness as the thought that noone that works for the Star Trek productions knows what they're doing, I will defend the position that Star Trek needs to take a good long break. If they can make a cool movie without angering me... cool. But I can't envision another series working. Not right now. Even if it resembles a Red Dwarf episode.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am shocked, nay, appalled that this article has not been discussed anywhere today on Flare.

I have to admit, I don't think Card's off his rocker, but I still love the ST world anyway.

Kind of like how we all love Cookie Monster as adults. No, wait, they're taking at away from us too.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, PC would say that he isn't a MONSTER but an inhibitionlessly challenged individual that indulges in antiquated Americana baked goods.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If nothing about it remains Trekish...

Try reading my post more thoroughly. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Sorry Omega. You're right, I missed the bit at the end. I think I understand what you mean, but I don't think it would be accepted by fans or newcomers.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No speculation that Enterprise's basic premise (humans, standing in for America, go out and unite a number of diverse and often angry aliens into a peaceful, lasting, and powerful alliance) was rendered 100% unbelievable after 9/11 and the subsequent responses?

Not that there should be, I guess, because I'm as tired as anyone of overwrought arguments about The Day Everything Changed, but the thought has sort of occured to me, off and on. I mean, contrast Enterprise to the only other space opera to start on U.S. network TV this century, in which there's a huge disaster and afterwards democracy falls apart.

("Hey Sol System, what about Stargate Atlantis?" I am ignoring it because it does not fit perfectly into my hypothesis. Though note that Atlantis' setup allows it to totally ignore Earth and the various events and attitudes there, if it pleases to.)

Ron Moore and Brannon Braga raise the question of "rebooting" Star Trek in their First Contact commentary, even going so far as to namecheck Crisis on Infinite Earths, though they don't remember the name exactly. (Nor do they mention how it was all very complicated and quickly ignored.) On the pro side, it would let the creators set things up however they wished, to allow for the stories they wanted to tell. Con: how much of Star Trek's appeal is its built-up fake history?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So maybe Star Trek needs to be produced by (and for) cultures at the peak of their succcess, and Paramount should sell the rights to a Chinese or Indian company.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would point out to O. S. Card that his books aren't exactly perfect. Under his by-line, they mention that he's the author of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. There's a reason they didn't mention any of the books in between.

Anyway, his railings against the show seem pretty unsubstantial. Basically, it sounds like the show just isn't his cup of tea, so he responds to it with name-calling.

And, maybe I missed something in only having seen part of an episode or two, but in what way is "Lost" science fiction? I thought it was about people trapped on an island where fantastical things happen. Where's the science?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps