Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Geordi and the Game (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Geordi and the Game
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here hear.

What? I thought it was funny.

But I've been drinking.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right well, as for why Geordi still has the VISOR when seems likely that he had other options, I would imagine it's because being an engineer/scientist type person, he enjoyed the extra functionality the VISOR gave him over cloned eyes, what with the infrared and ultraviolet and particle-of-the-week seeing and all. I'm sure artificial eyes were available in his time, but perhaps not without the functionality that the VISOR gave him, at least until sometime before First Contact.

Then again, you would think that that sort of reasoning would come up at some point where he goes emo over being blind, either in Insurrection or whatever the other episode was where he bitched about being blind.

Also, while certainly not canon, I remember reading one of those Starfleet Academy books from way back in the day that featured Geordi at the Academy. They were sent to this low-grav planet for field excercises and a cadet on another team complained about Geordi having an unfair advantage over everyone else because of his extended eye sight. Geordi let the kid put on his VISOR and feel the "ice picks in the temple" feeling that Geordi apparently felt all the time, but dealt with. I don't know, I like it.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right well, as for why Geordi still has the VISOR when seems likely that he had other options, I would imagine it's because being an engineer/scientist type person, he enjoyed the extra functionality the VISOR gave him over cloned eyes, what with the infrared and ultraviolet and particle-of-the-week seeing and all. I'm sure artificial eyes were available in his time, but perhaps not without the functionality that the VISOR gave him, at least until sometime before First Contact.

Then again, you would think that that sort of reasoning would come up at some point where he goes emo over being blind, either in Insurrection or whatever the other episode was where he bitched about being blind.

Also, while certainly not canon, I remember reading one of those Starfleet Academy books from way back in the day that featured Geordi at the Academy. They were sent to this low-grav planet for field excercises and a cadet on another team complained about Geordi having an unfair advantage over everyone else because of his extended eye sight. Geordi let the kid put on his VISOR and feel the "ice picks in the temple" feeling that Geordi apparently felt all the time, but dealt with. I don't know, I like it.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Geordi let the kid put on his VISOR and feel the 'ice picks in the temple' feeling that Geordi apparently felt all the time, but dealt with."

Not that makes any sense. The kid wouldn't have had the blinky little implants in his head that connect the VISOR to his brain. Without that, he's just sticking a glorified hairband over his eyes.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should have kicked that Cadet's arse outta Starfleet then and there! [Smile]

Was it a Cardassian that said to Geordi that he wouldn't have survived birth with his condition? Or was it a Romulan?-

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulan. Centurian Mushy Legs on Galorndan Core (SP)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulan, in "The Enemy"...

Generally, it seemed that the Romulans were the "We're superior because we ARE" guys, whereas the Cardassians had fewer hang-ups about biology and instead said "We're superior because we do everything better and with more discipline and devotion than the others". Granted, we never quite saw a disabled, prosthetics-reliant Cardassian, but I wouldn't put it past that species to accept birth deformity or the like if the person still served the state admirably.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cardassians probably had (past tense after watching the last episodes of season 7 again on TV) a 'Spartan' type thing going on - where they put newborns out in the elements and the ones that survived were 'worthy' to keep on living.
OnToMars
Member # 621

quote:
Not that makes any sense. The kid wouldn't have had the blinky little implants in his head that connect the VISOR to his brain. Without that, he's just sticking a glorified hairband over his eyes.
Well, I don't remember the details of the situation, perhaps those things helped mitigate the pain and sort the information into his brain, but still receiving the signals was possible without them. All I really remember is the kid got his come uppance and the VISOR wasn't a generally pleasant experience for Geordi.

And somebody broke their leg.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Actually...I here the Menendez boys are looking for new parents....

They're too old.
besides, they'd never fit into the tiny cages I have picked out
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Romulan, in "The Enemy"...

Generally, it seemed that the Romulans were the "We're superior because we ARE" guys, whereas the Cardassians had fewer hang-ups about biology and instead said "We're superior because we do everything better and with more discipline and devotion than the others". Granted, we never quite saw a disabled, prosthetics-reliant Cardassian, but I wouldn't put it past that species to accept birth deformity or the like if the person still served the state admirably.

Timo Saloniemi

I doubt any birth defects are allowed- it would be both inefficent and embarassing to a family (and family is everything to a Cardassian).
I can certainly see a lot of war vetrans with advanced prosthetics though- it would be a mark of distinguished service.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ponders who the best and worst engineer was*
Geordi did have the most: "Oh crap! This ain't good!" *Cool shot of him rolling under the isolation door as Engineering fills with toxic coolant gas* momemts.
Torres like lost the warp core once- but I think Seven wanted to rig some Borg technology to the ship that she just knew she could make work... So I can't fault Torres too much...
Scotty... he always lied about how long things would take to get done so he'd look better than he was when he got things done faster.
Rom- he fixed things, but he was such a bumbler too...
O'Brien... now that was a fix-it guy! He had the engineering gene I think! Even his Mirror Universe counterpart... heck... he went from Terran slave fellow who fixed trinkets... to "I done figured out interdimensional transporters, stole the plans for the Defiant, and built myself one outta spare parts I had laying about! And he probably built the thing quicker than Utopia Planetia did! Give the man a round of applause!
Tripp was also a good engineer- but the technology in that era was much more primative, as it was in Scotty's day, that it's difficult to judge.

I did read an article where a VISOR had been created. It'd only been used on one test patient- they had complete loss of vision due to optic nerve damage, and doctors and scientists were able to build a webcam like device, that could send signals directly into his visual cortext.... via a cable he plugged into his skull on the side of his head. The more he used it the more his brain adapted to the signal and the better it worked...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps