Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Where no man has gone before" c.1958?

Author Topic: "Where no man has gone before" c.1958?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be interesting to some. An article at The Space Review says that the famous line from Kirk's opening monologue might have originated in 1958 from the White House.

quote:
It turns out that the last line of that memorable speech delivered by Captain James T. Kirk (well, William Shatner) nearly four decades ago came from a White House document produced in 1958 to help calm post-Sputnik hysteria.

Here is an excerpt from the March 1958 document �Introduction to Outer Space:�

��the compelling urge of man to explore and to discover, the thrust of curiosity that leads men to try to go where no one has gone before.�

I think it might be a coincidence, personally. For all I know, that may have even been a semi-popular phrase at the very beginnings of the space race. Thoughts?

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the two were related what with Star Trek being full of the idea that mankind had reached out and attained so many goals that seemed difficult to imagine in the time the show was written. I can very easily see Roddenbury reading that or hearing and putting it into the show saying, "Yes... in the future we have done that."

Then again, it also wouldn't surprise me if it was a coincidence.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps