Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Request for assistance -- Romulan fans a plus (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Request for assistance -- Romulan fans a plus
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody had a neat idea (IMO) that there were two racial groups on Vulcan and that the schism took place largely along these lines. There would be some "crossovers," naturally, explaining the smooth-headed Romulans in TOS, and any other abberations in later shows.

This scenario could open up some interesting story possibilities involving the politics of Vulcan. After all, we already know from ENT's "Stigma" and the "Awakening/Kir'shara" arc that the government had some rather...discriminatory policies, even at that late date.

On the subject of Remans, although it has not been addresses in canon, I prefer to believe they were a pre-existent indigenous race that was subjugated by the Romulans. To me, it's just beyond suspension of disbelief that such a specialized morphology could have developed within the time since the Romulans arrived in the system.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When last seen Spock was on Romulus passing as a Romulan with no sugical alterations to his smooth-headed appearance. Similarly, the Vulcan terrorist T'Paal/Tallera who disgised herself as a Romulan in TNG: "Gambit" and she has pronounced cranial bones like most of the Romulans.

So these ridges may be just genetic differences within the Vulcans and Romulans.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Tallera was disguising herself as a Romulan, wasn't she? So, presumably, the ridges were fake and part of the disguise.

And do we know whether Spock was actually posing as a Romulan, as opposed to just a Vulcan expatriate?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to watch the episode again, but was Spock even traveling in disguise? It seems to me that he was just hiding out with that underground group, and wasn't pretending to be anyone else. I'd think Spock would be too famous for that to work anyway.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much, Sol. He spent time at restaurants with Picard and various Romulans, without seeming too concerned about not being seen/recognised.

"Ambassador T'Pel" got her ridges back when she returned to her ship in "Data's Day".

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps