Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Founding Federation worlds?

Author Topic: Founding Federation worlds?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He Who Shall Not Be Named (except for in that other thread where I did) asked me to post the following:
quote:
I haven't seen some of s2, most of S3, or any of S4 of Enterprise. Was there any mention in "These Are The Voyages..." about how many races were founding the Federation? I know the traditional number is 5 & that Alpha Centauri was one of them--ENT never addressed the Alpha Centauri "problem," did it? If there was to be a 5th race to found the Fenderation, what would it be, the Denobulans? Is there any race not to think it could be 10 races?

Also, we never saw anything on Tellarite ship classes, did we? No names or anything of the like?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was some mention in "Azati Prime", I believe.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell Mr. Riddle that we're stuck with making it up, still.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no answer.
emperorkalan
Member # 1821

- posted      Profile for emperorkalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
He Who Shall Not Be Named (except for in that other thread where I did) asked me to post the following:
quote:
I haven't seen some of s2, most of S3, or any of S4 of Enterprise. Was there any mention in "These Are The Voyages..." about how many races were founding the Federation? I know the traditional number is 5 & that Alpha Centauri was one of them--ENT never addressed the Alpha Centauri "problem," did it? If there was to be a 5th race to found the Fenderation, what would it be, the Denobulans? Is there any race not to think it could be 10 races?

Also, we never saw anything on Tellarite ship classes, did we? No names or anything of the like?

Actually, ENT did establish Alpha Centauri as a human colony ("Twilight"). No specifics on other founding members (other than Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites).

As for Tellarite ships, check out
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/alphabeta_ships4.htm

--------------------
Old jedi never die...
The just fade in and out.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is, ccording to the extensive fiction that arose from 1970 to 1990, the Alpha Centauri system has at least three habitable worlds -- one with "indiginous" Alpha Centaurians, and two Terran colonies. I put indigenous in quotes because that same fiction points to the Alpha Centaurians being descended from transplanted ancient Greeks.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

*headtilt* Why did they state that they missed so much, and then make such a proclamation? Actually, We've seen three different Tellarite vessels...
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tellarite_freighter
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tellarite_shuttle
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tellarite_warship

In ENT - Demons it was stated that Earth, Vulcan, the Andorian Empire, Tellar, Denobula Triaxa, Rigel V, Coridan, and several other worlds had united together. That was mostly due to the Romulan attacks on many of their ships. That was not the Federation's founding though.

The Founding Members are considered Alpha Centauri (Independent Earth colony), Andoria, Earth, Tellar, Vulcan. These are the "founding political groups" It consisted of more worlds as Andoria is often listed as Andoria and the Andorian Empire, so it and Vulcan probably have several worlds, and the only reason Alpha Centauri got listed was because it declared independence from Earth.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Problem is, ccording to the extensive fiction that arose from 1970 to 1990..."

Well, that's only a problem if you want it to be.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we want to be more "objective" about it, we might point out that Alpha Centauri is the only "supposed" founding member with an Earthling name. (Okay, "Vulcan" may be an Earthling version of the native name to the planet, but it still isn't "40 Eridani A", if you catch my drift.)

Semantic subservience may imply subservience in general. If there were an independent native population to Alpha Centauri, we'd probably be hearing their native name a lot more often. (Unless, of course, that native name happened to be "Tellar" or "Berengaria" or something...)

From the semantic point of view, it'd seem that even if there are native peoples in the AC system, they aren't credited with the founding of the Federation, not even in the theory where AC is one of the founding members.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps