Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Paramount is dumping the Trek vaults. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Paramount is dumping the Trek vaults.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/16195.html

Christie's is going to hold a monster auction selling seemingly every last scrap of worthwile items from the Paramount Trek vaults. While the Q&A on the official site claims otherwise, it feels like the end of a (rather long) era. Since so many props are being sold off, it seems to be rather obvious that there is not much of a future planned at all. R.I.P televized Trek.

I wonder how all the people who made this stuff feel about 'their' stuff dissapearing into private collections for ridiculous amounts of money.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish my art would do that.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had the money to get some of that stuff
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the positive side, just wait fifteen years and we'll get an absolutely spectacular new Star Trek series with all new writers, actors, sets, and stuff analogous to what they're auctioning off. Heck, it worked for Doctor Who... [Wink]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want the 8ft Enterprise-A, the Workbee, and the Runabout. I'd take the plum suit that Jeri Ryan wore on Season 7 on Voyager also.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And prance around doing housework in it?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This news makes me very sad, but not because of the auction itself (it's to be expected, and I agree with Dukhat that this is in the long run a Good Thing). I'm sad because Paramount is going to make an absolutely obscene amount of money from what effectively amounts to a yard sale featuring junk from the attic. Sure, I'd be interested in buying a couple of little trinkets for the heck of it, but the prices are going to be so ridiculous that I'm quite certain it won't even be worth looking at the listings.

(Though I'm sure someone here will be checking for that old archived Cheyenne-class model or whatnot.) [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are all those tours, so at least a few of us should get to see the props and models before they disappear forever.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Though I'm sure someone here will be checking for that old archived Cheyenne-class model or whatnot.)
awww ....fuck yeah.

I'd settle for the Springfield!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the HELL can't they put them in some sort of permanent museum!?!?! Morons. Trek changed the face of Television (and by extension - Movies) we know today.

If there was no The Next Generation in 1987 - there would be NO hour long sci-fi/fantasy-esque dramas that have pervaded our tv screens in the Ninties and Two-thousands.

Firstly No X-Files - something which REALLY brought all of it into the main-stream.

No DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Babylon 5, Crusade, Mellenium, Farscape, Andromeda, Space: Above and Beyond, Earth: Final Conflict, Dark Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hurculese, Xena Warrior Princess, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Lost, Numbers, The 4400, Dark Skies, The Dead Zone, American Gothic, Time Trax, SeaQuest DSV, Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman, Earth 2, VR.5, Sliders, Psi Factor, Lexx, First Wave, Seven Days, Highlander, Beast Master, Harsh Realm, Beast Master, Total Recall 2070, Cleopatra 2020, Roswell, Alias, Mutant X, Birds of Prey, Dead Like Me, Firefly, Re-launched Doctor Who, Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica etc. etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that so?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, I can certainly see what a crushing blow it will be to any future Star Trek production to not be able to outfit background characters with Jem'Hadar rifles. Think how much those added to the emotional power of Enterprise! Crisis, woe!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only sad becacuse it truly signals the end to the TMP -and probably TNG/DS9 eras... at least the days of good model starships and not over-the-top Nemesis like CGI monsters.

I want the deadalus from Sisko's office.

I want concept art: I saved all the auctioned concept art from the last auction.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Is that so?

What I'm trying to say is, if Star Trek: The Next Generation WASN'T the success (AND being a syndicated hour long sci-fi/fantasy based television show at that) We might only now have Television networks willing to fore-go millions of dollars on sci-fi/fantasy based television. Do you REALLY think that they would have green lighted a show called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" if there was NOTHING around before it to show that there was an audience for this kind of thing?

The types of shows on TV now might be up to something like the 50th CSI, CSI: Anchorage or the 100th Law and Order, Law and Order: Speed Camera Unit.

I forgot to add a few shows:

Starhunter, The Outer Limits (1995 version), Charmed, Space Precinct, Dark Skies, Jake 2.0, Now and Again, The Burning Zone, Odyssey 5, Tru Calling, Ghost Whisperer... plus more I'm sure.

At the time the only similar show you could PROBABLY compare TNG with - albeit very slimly would be Red Dwarf - and that was a half hour British Comedy.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

P.S. I'll have the DS9 model thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps