Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Aboot that Reboot. . . (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Aboot that Reboot. . .
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is old news, or even news at all, but I've only recently come across a copy of the proposed reboot by J. Michael Straczynski and Bryce Zabel, from Zabel's own blog. The proposal is here in PDF format.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The essential news is old, but the details are new.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I mean, we all knew they had a concept, but not really what it entailed beyond being a reboot. And the proposal doesn't give all that much more away.

quote:
We will keep the classic silhouette of the Enterprise, but fit her out with a level of amazing technology based on what the best and the brightest minds tell us the future will look like in 200 years. Tricorders and communicators were predicted by the original Trek and are already upon us in GPS technology and cell phones. What new wonders can we predict for the future knowing what we know now?
This is the interesting bit. Can you have a new and modern-looking interior, costumes and props while retaining the TOS-era exterior? We're used to a bit more streamlining these days. . .

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think rebooting the series would work right now. Enterprise has only been off the air for a year. Rebooted shows like Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who came from shows which were cancelled years ago. While the original Star Trek is still liked, if rebooted people would just go "not another one!". I'd say let a couple of years pass and then let us see about this re-booting business.
Lee
Member # 393

Well, at this stage it's all moot, anyway. This isn't what they're going with. Be a bit amusing - if not potentially-litigiously-coincidental - if Abrams' concept is at all similar. . .

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting read. Sounds like Star Trek mixed with some B5 with the story behind "The Chase" as an overall arc.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek need to stay as far away from JMS and other comic-book writers as possible and go with sci-fi authors for ideas.

I've seen shitty comic-book sci-fi (Legend of The Rangers, any B5 movie) and Trek deserves better.
What's more, Trek needs to stay away from the egomaniacs that demand total creative control.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would actually be very excited to see this!
I was a little skepticle with the "Reboot" of BSG, but after getting into it - i fell in love with it.

And as is mentioned above, I think that taking what we know now and modernizing the sets to include what we think the Enterprise would look like 200 years from now would be awesome to see...

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. and no, i don't think it's too soon either. It may be too soon for some people .. but for those of us who love Trek for the sake of loving it - I think it would be an idea that would be well embraced.

(edit: Let me rephrase that. For those of us who just love Trek for it's entertainment value - and not all of the Technology, Timelines, Canonical Storylines and all that ... i think it'll sail nicely... for those who are rooted in the Tech, Ship designs and registries, Canonical Histories.. it may be more difficult to accept the changes proposed in the New Reboot..

I didn't mean to imply that those people loved it any less... )

The only thing they would REALLY have to do is get a cast with a lot of chemistry! This is where Voyager failed... i felt no chemistry among the actors ... and the writing was horrible...

Keep B&B away from the project and it could work nicely..

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
I don't think rebooting the series would work right now. Enterprise has only been off the air for a year. Rebooted shows like Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who came from shows which were cancelled years ago. While the original Star Trek is still liked, if rebooted people would just go "not another one!". I'd say let a couple of years pass and then let us see about this re-booting business.

I think that's a big point. BSG's "reboot" works because the franchise was untouched since 1978/1979 (ignoring Galactica 1980 and the scant few books). People tried to revitalize the series in the meantime, but the NuBSG we have now is the only one to see fruition.

Star Trek, on the other hand, has had a steady stream of new stories since 1979. 10 movies and 4 spin-off series.

I think this volume of work is too fresh for a reboot to work now. Further, I think the amount of material Trek related is so enormous that a reboot would be ill-received.

There are a ton more Trek fans than Battlestar fans. The backlash against NuBSG was a small ripple compared to the backlash Trek fans would unleash.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While noisy and boisterous, I don't think fan backlash would bring something like this down. (In fact, as stated in their proposal it probably would only increase media attention.) Unless the show really sucked. Which by the sounds of it, it wouldn't. I'm a little disappointed, actually, that they'd recycle the original characters. I'm wondering whether their plans included an event from "Universe A" to set into motion their "Universe B".

I'm just a little mad that my (non-trek) show has some similar elements and so now I'm going to get accused of ripping JMS off despite having only read the pdf this morning.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, is JMS a "one-trick pony" or something? What is it with his "obsession" with the idea of the Ancients?

Babylon-5: The focus of the entire show centered around the Shadow War where known races fought against an ancient race (or races, counting the Vorlon) with advanced, mysterious, technology.

Crusade: Tales of a starship and her crew exploring the galaxy in search of lost technology of the Ancients in order to find a cure for a plagued Earth.

Star Trek: Reboot is sounding a lot like this same concept, only without the initial idea of a war. I can easily imagine, however, the story turning into a war between the Federation and other Alpha Quadrant races (Klingons, Romulans, etc...) over who would ultimately possess said Ancient technology.

I can, however, see the appeal of tying certain Star Trek stories into one cohesive whole. The time portal from "City on the Edge of Forever" coming from the same technology that created the Planet Killer in "Doomsday Machine," and both technologies being linked to the civilizations discovered in "Wink of an Eye," "Return to Tomorrow," and "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hardly fair to count B5 and "Crusade" separately. I mean, since the First Ones were a major factor in the B5 universe, it kind of makes sense they would crop up in other shows set in the same universe.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a negatory on this one - ditch Berman and EVERYONE in the old guard, but keep jms and others out of it too. The B5 arc is a proven history of failure with jms at the helm; it's worked only once, and that concept was a hit and miss five years of television that was hardly rewarded with stellar ratings. My opinion is that he's just redressing his same old formulae AGAIN but hoping to use the Trek franchise name to make it happen. Pass.

And jeez, can you imagine the interminable jms monologuing with some actor trying to give a Kirk delivery? Weren't some of those speeches long ENOUGH already?!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Alien vs. Straczynski".

....and I'll place 2000 Quatloos on the facehugger.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reboots are evil. Period. Take the trouble to fix whatever's gone wrong with Trek. Don't just throw everything out and start over again. That's lazy and lame.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps