Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Starfleet Technical Manual (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek Starfleet Technical Manual
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peregrinus , I think the real-world answer as to why Jefferies or Roddenberry didn't bombard Franz Joseph with corrections is that it was understood from the start he was doing an idealized version of the ship, working out the "kinks" that resulted from upscaling it from 540 to 947 feet, switching the bridge stations around, etc. He was just doing what Jefferies himself did a few years later, when he worked up the original Phase II design.

It's a shame some regard the plans as substandard for being inaccurate to the filming miniature, when they were definitely not trying to be accurate to that model. The other stuff -- phaser, communicator, etc -- yeah. He gets a "C" on documenting those props, if that is what he was trying to do. But the ship? Nah. A+.

For what he was trying to do. Of course, I'm just talking the exterior, too. He might get a different mark on that interior, I think.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...they should be towed away as garbage!

There are some pretty odd "official" notions of the TOS Enterprise's interior though- that cutaway poster for one, placing the TOS Connie as far larger than the (incredible David Kimble poster) Refit. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aridas:
Peregrinus , I think the real-world answer as to why Jefferies or Roddenberry didn't bombard Franz Joseph with corrections is that it was understood from the start he was doing an idealized version of the ship, working out the "kinks" that resulted from upscaling it from 540 to 947 feet, switching the bridge stations around, etc. He was just doing what Jefferies himself did a few years later, when he worked up the original Phase II design.

It's a shame some regard the plans as substandard for being inaccurate to the filming miniature, when they were definitely not trying to be accurate to that model. The other stuff -- phaser, communicator, etc -- yeah. He gets a "C" on documenting those props, if that is what he was trying to do. But the ship? Nah. A+.

For what he was trying to do. Of course, I'm just talking the exterior, too. He might get a different mark on that interior, I think.

No question that he put together a remarkable peice of work, based on when it was done (both for access to and ammount of source material, and for the fact that he didn't have the kind of computing we take for granted) and his intent with the work. Even if I don't agree with some of his choices, I both respect and enjoy the manual.

But its certanly not my first recomendation as a reference of what was depicted on television.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And Mars...? Star Fleet Battles is a nice ship combat system. FASA's minis were better, but are harder to find these days than the Venus de Milo's arms. Just make sure you don't get sucked into the SFB chronology. It gets pretty wacky/stupid/overblown.
I guess you mean the whole General War followed by the ISC War of Pacification and then the Andromedan Inavasion [Wink]

As I was saying about the miniatures, I might want to buy some. Yet the SFB online store leaves me a bit suspicious. I mean they just kinda haphazardly offer models in random packs. I don't think they fully know what their doing. I dunno might just be me.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps