Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager explains TOS mystery?

Author Topic: Voyager explains TOS mystery?
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may recall the VGR episode "Deadlock" where something I think was called a quantum schism, or similar, effectively photocopied the ship and crew.

It struck me that if some kind of subspace "wrinkle" could occur and copy a ship, what if an even larger wrinkle were have a star sytem pass through it?

The Voyager copy existed in practically the same space (perhaps offset slightly "out of our space time continuum", or perhaps more likely each being partially pushed into different subspace layers.

What if this was a wrinkle, but there were also "folds", with greater curvature - like a nasty fold you get in your best T-shirt when you're desperately trying to iron it flat. Such a fold might create a copy, but PUSH IT OUT OF THE SAME POSITION. A copy may be submerged in subspace, and so invisible to it's counterpart, but maybe this could wear off and after the copy has travelled a significant distance it re-enters normal space.

If so, what if the whole solar system had passed through such a fold? At say... 1960 AD? Wouldn't that start to explain the copy Earth in TOS: "miri"?

For that matter, what if it also could account for every parallel world that TOS showed but was a bit unlikely; The Roman world of "Bread and Circuses"?
The Yangs and Cooms of "Omega Glory"?
I know the continents were seen to be different on these worlds, but one could hand wave and speculate polar caps melting and geological upheavals over the time since their replication.

Just a crazy thought, but it sure helps me accept "Miri" as more feasible.

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

Good thinking, but they'd all have to have been created at the same time, and then been moved to wherever they ended up, which could only be explained by a huge, multi-mouthed wormhole opening and swallowing all the duplicates and moving them to different locations. I think it was just a joke Q was playing on us, personally. Seems a lot simpler.

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it would sure be a nice thought, but it's ratehr complicated. And why would the development freeze in one place and not proceed as it did on our Earth?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather like the idea.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps