Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Teaser Poster for JJ Abram's Take on Trek (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Teaser Poster for JJ Abram's Take on Trek
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't. making a movie based on TOS is going to suck. Especially since it isnt a re-imaging. Those cheesy, bright assed retro colors are ugly and completely take me out of the movie.

Sure, so would making a movie about something as obscure as 29th century starfleet, but a solid story about the Titan and Capt. Riker would be good.

Im sick of his prequel shit.

The sad part is, i'll see it 3-4 times anyway.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
making a movie based on TOS is going to suck
And there are people who say that making a DS9 or VGR or ENT movie would suck.** The simple fact is that Trek has become so fragmented that even the fans can't agree on anything anymore. (It's one of the things that keeps this place in business, right? [Wink] ) I would view these posters as indication that the studio is coming up with some kind of catch-all plot that will end up throwing a bunch of shit up against the wall and seeing what sticks with the audience.

** One of my mom's childhood friends -- the person who got her interested in Trek back during its first run -- is such a rabid TOS fan that she has refused to watch ANY of the subsequent television series or [TNG] movies AT ALL. And there are nutcases out there who say the only good thing about TOS was that it led to newer, better shows. Reality is somewhere in the middle. But, my point is, that there's such a variety of opinion that they're never going to please everyone with any single movie. And yet, because they're so intent on sticking with the original formula and they want to make as much money as possible at the same time...

As of right now, my attitude is "why should I go see it?" instead of "I'll probably go see it, regardless of how good it is." I fully respect anyone else's choices otherwise. But given the past six years, I'm still quite puzzled as to why people seem to be going apeshit over a damn poster.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't really care how it turns out. I've converted to BSG and Stargate.

However, the fans at TrekBBS are going CRAZY over this image.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(As far as I can tell, there's no information about the content of the movie one way or the other, and all we've got is a teaser image with the classic logo, plus Abrams' comments to the effect that he likes TOS.)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'M WITH WES!

(You earn NEGATIVE ONE THOUSAND points.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's like watching the very worst of humanity trying to survive while fucking each other over.

So it is like watching US politics?
No, U.S. Politics is funny and has better acting.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seem to have skipped the DS9 pin.
I think it's a fantastic ad series- looks great just as a promo for the whole "40 years" thing.

It would not be terribly suprising for them to try a "grand unification" plot to sorta give fans a taste of each version of Trek.
A bit fanboy-ish prahaps...
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
Honestly, I don't really care how it turns out. I've converted to BSG and Stargate.

Jesus, that sad.
It's like saying "I only listern to cover songs..."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikephys:
The absence of red implies first or second pilot uniform colors. I agree, this could be a Pike or April film. Or maybe JJ is getting rid of the red uniform color, so we don't know in advance who's going to die!

The pilots had there colours, the third was just really close to the yellow.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, yes, it is funnier in a saddish sort of way, although the actors aren't really that good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a series based during the TOS era, just do to the other stories that could be told, I guess the same goes for the TNG era, although DS9 and VOY covered other parts of it already. ENT would have been more appealing had they used a ship that looked like it pre dated the E-nil.

I echo Jason's sentiment about ENT, although replace ENT with BSG. It seems far closer to what you'd expect than the family BSG of old. Maybe at the end of this one Earth will be destroyed because they did come here.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get ready for "The Five Captains"...Evil 29th Century dude uses a timescoop to pluck Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, & Archer to the future to (insert evil plot here). The Captains must overcome their differences to fight E29CD and set the universe right.

You just KNOW there's already a scipt like that out there.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
Im going to circulate this just to be a bastard.

Hehe!

-

Wait where's the Enterprise patch [Big Grin]

Really I get no reaction from this. I'm mean the official website is pulling all the stops for a teaser poster that a few months ago might have been viewed as a nice free wallpaper to put on your desktop. Why so much hype for something that has not really been planned and may not be good? Who runs that sight? The Underpants Gnomes?

Step1: Teaser Poster

Step2: ?

Step3: Profit!

Wes
Member # 212

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6332527

Hillarious. Look at them try to anyalize it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you, Mars, perhaps new to the phenomenon of marketing?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by "analyze" you mean "call into question your abilities as an artist" then whoa hilarity.

I agree with them, by the way.

DON'T TRIP UP THE STAIRS ON YOUR WAY TO DINNER

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyalize, I mean.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps