Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vorta Guest Star

Author Topic: Vorta Guest Star
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I going crazy? Didn't Eddie Izzard guest star as a Vorta on Deep Space Nine? Or am I confusing him with someone else ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iggy Pop. Jesus, how do I get those two confused for each other? I'm a fucking moron.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see the connection. Eddie Izzard played Jerry Devine in Velvet Goldmine & he was made/asked to sign Curt Wild (played by Ewan McGregor), who was based on Iggy Pop.

Done & done.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You shot Moogie!"

"I hate Ferengi."

Even though it was a Ferengi episode, that was one of my favorites from DS9.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, it's one of the best episodes of the whole show. It may be a Ferengi/comedy episode, but it's also a great drama. The moment when Brunt shoots Keevan, then everyone comes over to stare stupidly at the body, is one of the finest moments.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Indeed, it's one of the best episodes of the whole show."

What the?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Magnificent Ferengi", just to give you the title, Snay.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

What the?

What? I agree with him. Many of the Ferengi-centered shows were somewhat lacking, but this one was up to DS9's highest standards. I liked the way they tied in Keevan from "Rocks and Shoals," too. Great ep.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

What the?

For the same reasons that I think that "In the Cards" was one of the greatest episodes of the series. Not for that ridiculous "Lions and Geigers and bears, oh my!" joke, but for the hilariously overblown "Cellular Regeneration and Entertainment Chamber" concept, the perfectly natural intermingling of the tense Dominion nonaggression pact development, and the wonderful father/son story dynamic with Ben and Jake Sisko. It's a great drama with perfectly timed comedic elements and great characterization.

"The Magnificent Ferengi" was great because it took the Ferengi concept and ran with it, making it natural for Quark to start to plan a rescue operation, realize it would ridiculously fail, then try a rescue negotiation, only to have that ridiculously fail too (shooting the prisoner you brought to the prisoner exchange is just too hilarious!). But it still wasn't too over-the-top in terms of forcing the usual material like the male chauvinism or the excessive greed (the greed was there, of course, but it was more integrated with the part). It just felt like the most natural of the Ferengi episodes, just because the characters were so well developed.

(Of course, "The Magnificent Ferengi" is still easily topped by eps like "In the Pale Moonlight," "Trials and Tribble-ations," "Duet," and "The Visitor," but it's still in the top ten percent of the whole run, for sheer entertainment value.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't quibble with liking it, and as Ferengi episodes go it's 2001. That just seemed like rather. . . effusive praise. (Also I felt like it was a lame waste of that particular Vorta.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps