Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Stellar cartography...

Author Topic: Stellar cartography...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, in a thread in the Designs Forum, Berd posted a link to a site called the Star Trek Dimension which has an interesting stellar cartography section. I've taken special notice to two particular images presented therein:

This is the more fascinating of the two. It was originally seen in TNG's "Conspiracy". This apparently updated version was used in DS9. Among other things, it shows the locations of Trill, the Tholian Assembly, and the Klingon and Romulan homeworlds.

This is a section of the huge stellar cartography display in ST7. Unfortunately, only two stars on it (Wolf359 and Canopus) are real, so it may be difficult to use for mapping purposes.

Does anyone thing they can accurately (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) match the first (and maybe even the second) picture up to real space and find stars to match the unknowns?

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll ask some people here what they think, but I have my doubts.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Chris, the webmaster of ST Dimension, has been trying to match it with real stars for some time. I have a star chart which I still have to scan that shows the direct neighbor planets of Earth in 3D, but I fear the ST7 chart extends farther to the west (or south), maybe around 100 LY.

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Conspiracy chart is a crock - its just there to look pretty... some things just DON'T gel - how can Ferenginar be a sector away from The First Federation and know one know about the Ferengi until TNG season 1 2364

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, basically, no matter where you put the Ferengi, it's going to seem odd that no-one knew about them until TNG. Unless you put them really far away, in which case it wouldn't make sense that they seem to be all over the place afterward...

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, though, they did know about the Ferengi, they just didn't know what they looked like or a whole lot about them. No direct contact had been made prior to the Ent D, but they had attacked the Stargazer. Likely, Starfleet knew SOMEONE inhabited that space, but had no cultural contact with them.

Though, their relationship with the Federation and other civilizations seems to have progressed quite quickly....

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMMMMMMMM!?! this could be a high ranking conspiracy reaching into the upper echelons of Starfleet Command!

Why had the Federation heard of the Ferengi but no one had made contact for several years!

Maybe they knew what the Ferengi represented, and didn't want their influence on Federation society!?!

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

HMMMMMMMM!?! this could be a high ranking conspiracy reaching into the upper echelons of Starfleet Command!

Why had the Federation heard of the Ferengi but no one had made contact for several years!

Maybe they knew what the Ferengi represented, and didn't want their influence on Federation society!?!

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing how Ferengi society has changed over the years, I'd say the Federation aren't the ones who should have been worried.

------------------
"Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile."
--
Soul Coughing

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps