Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Odd ship names (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Odd ship names
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're missing something. It's because you're a terrestrial lifeform who has got into the habit of intuitively measuring things according to their internal volume and apparent weight [Wink]

If you also consider "mass" as a factor in the selection of eponyms, then you can start to include much more interesting astronomical phenomena like pulsars and quantum singularities and perhaps even dark matter! USS Dark Matter Nebula. In the Trek universe there is no reason why these objects would not have common names alongside their designations as they would be very important navigational hazards to FTL starships and their existence and locations would be widely known among both navigators and scientists.

Building on the Nebula names theme, you can even have names of protostars. Perhaps use those for a second class of slightly smaller vessels, or as names of tenders for the larger nebula named ships.

Red giant stars? Plenty of those around and plenty have already got names.

Minutiaman is right. This is Trek. Make them up. In that context, use my suggestions to assign made-up names to particular phenomena for consistency and added interest.

When you consider the vast number of possibilities there's really no need to rehash the tired old game of naming ships after people!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DO have a USS Dark Matter Nebula, actually.

In any event, this class is almost done & then it's on to the great structural support member that is the Niagara-class.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
I DO have a USS Dark Matter Nebula, actually.

In that case, ignore me.

In any event, this class is almost done & then it's on to the great structural support member that is the Niagara-class. [/QUOTE]

In that case, try the following:
USS Two's Company
USS Third Leg
USS Penalty Weight
USS Bilge Keel
USS Threesome

On an unrelated note, I just found this:
http://www.davidjmiller.net/dmpgrok2.htm
How amusing.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...what?

No, I meant...oh, never mind. It's just a visual thing, how I see the project..

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, one of my first-flight Nebulas (Nebul�...?) I named the USS Sword of Orion, a little ha-ha due to the fact that most of the "stars" in Orion's sword are nebul�.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Member # 343

Ganked.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the USS Beeblebrox?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps