Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS: "Arena" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS: "Arena"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FUUUUCCCK!
I missed the first 20 minutes of it!
Anyone catch this yet?
If so, can someone please screengrab whatever Gorn ship was made for this?!?

EDIT: After watching the remainder of the episode, I noticed something...odd.
The scenes of Kirk on the Enterprise's viewscreen still have all the old bad "film lines" and blemishes, while the area around the viewscreen is free of them.
I guess the original footage that was composited onto the viewscreen image was shitty and had all those blemishes, but I'm suprised that effort was not made to clean those up for this edition.

Everything else (that I saw) looked great though- the battle with the Gorn is still great fun in all it's rubber-suited glory.

[ October 21, 2006, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's this: new Enterprise?

http://trekmovie.com/2006/10/18/trek-remastered-is-getting-a-new-enterprise/

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh! "A new freighter for �the Ultimate Computer�"

That whole article fills me with a sense of joy. [Smile] It's a refreshing change from the Berman attitude that nothing is wrong with how the studio is making Star Trek, and instead the audience is screwy.

Seems the Gorn ship isn't shown(apart from being a blob), so that's a bit disappointing, but the Gorn himself blinks. So yay!

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Beyond that the team are also going to start creating some ship models for brand new ships, for example a new Gorn ship for �Arena�, an Orion ship for �Journey to Babel� and a new freighter for �the Ultimate Computer�.
So...did they do one, or is it that thay'll go back and add it in later?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to irregular scheduling on the part of the TV station, I missed the first fifteen minutes, so I didn't even see a blob, much less a ship. I get the impression from the article, though, that it's something they have yet to create.

Having seen, again, the extreme patheticness of the Gorn captain in this episode, I've formulated a new theory. I suspect he has some sort of physical disability : the Gorn equivalent of MS or cerebral palsy, or something. It would explain a lot.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Kirk beat the crap out of an alien cripple?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the classic theory was that the planet was fairly cold and the poor lizard still had some tendency towards ecto- or poikilothermy in his genes...

An alternate explanation is that his dad was an ENT-type Gorn but his mom was a humanoid of some other ilk, perhaps a human; he's the worst of both worlds, and harbors deep hatred towards the world (in this case, Earth) for that.

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even want to know what kind of human would be attracted to a Gorn....
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two glimpses I had of the Gorn ship it seemed to have a look similar to a TIE interceptor from straight in front or back. Kind of a sphere with canted panels on the axis.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, the CGI Gorn reminded me somewhat of the Scarrans. Maybe the Gorn that Kirk fought was a distant relative of Scorpius?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got to be kidding me.

-

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Romulan Bird of Prey, upside-down.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's about as clear as a sonogram. I certainly hope the other ships will be more impressive than this.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the new, less resource intensive Enterprise coming in, they should be able to pull off some better stuff in future episodes.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would dearly like to see the other shot as well.

But I think the ship looks like the "space vampire" from "Enterprise", you know the one, the ship which drilled into the NX-01. There�s a shot of it from the start that looks similar to the Gorn ship, although the other ship look more like a doublerazoredged knife at some angles

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps