Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ten Years After (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ten Years After
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Memory Alpha:

The teaser for the film used score from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and various shots from other Trek movies and episodes. All effect shots (ships, space battles, pyro, weapons fire, etc) were recycled episode and film footage since the teaser needed to be cut prior to the completion of the film's effects to launch the publicity on schedule. This is why the Enterprise-E is not seen until the full trailer.
There is only one clip in the teaser that did not feature in any TV episode or movie. That was of the USS Voyager firing multiple phaser blasts from its saucer array, at an early TNG version of a Borg Cube. The clip is seen near the end of the trailer and is backdropped against an orange nebula.
The theatrical trailer utilized bits of score from the crash sequence in Star Trek Generations. The trailer also featured various shots not included in the film such as an alternate take of Picard saying, "The line must be drawn here!"

Edit: I found it!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 year old Johnny really liked that trailer. It was kinda fun putting the pieces of the puzzle together to figure out which bits came from which episodes, and in a way, the fact that nothing from the actual film was shown actually excited me more.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 21. I was doing off-season campaign work, working on the final dat entries & planning victory parties, as we'd gotten our guy into the state legislature back in CT.

The opening night, I went with my friends Beth & Carolyn, & Carolyn's friend Lenny to go see it. I remember thinking how lame as shit the opening credit were....until the pullback from the eye. And then I got it. And KEPT getting it as the camera kept going.

I didn't see the MSD that Lee & others have mentioned, but I DID have an idea for the general shape of the ship. E! used to have a show called "Coming Attractions," where they played 30 mintues of upcoming movie trailers, & I not only caught it on there but taped it so I could review it in detail; still have the tape, actually because I'm lame & lazy. Also it has the trailer for Escape From L.A., which I thougth was cool.

Anyway, in the trailer, there's a snip where Picard called for red alert & you can see the general shape of the ship on a readout screen behind him; it's surrounded by the swirling ovals. I traced it & was a little shocked to see how much it resembled one of my own designs; later on, I saw that it really wasn't. I, too, noticed the unnamed Intrepid there & wondered if they'd cheaped out & just made the E-E one to save on time. About 4 years later, I watched te tape again, saw that it was Voyager with the named removed (same number) & went on to build a spec model of an INT E-E for someone anyway.

I remember thinking how fucking BADASS the movei was, how we KNEW it was the Vulcans right as the ship landed, & how much I'd wished it'd been Andorians or some such. Then we went out for food, & I went home to scrape the decals off the Galaxy model I had labeled of an NCC-1701-E two years previously & relabel it as USS Gibraltar.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About that MSD, the MSD in the teaser trailer looks a little funny.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/1505/ente-e.png

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one, Mars!
I wonder what made them do that, edit together a Voyager-vs-Cube shot when they'd recycled so much other stuff anyway.
Also, I could've sworn this was the trailer where you saw two BoPs descend into a solar flare and explode, stolen from that klingon episode of TNG.
Perhaps it was in the trailer for "Generations".

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's not "VGR vs. Cube" at all. It's from BOBW 2; Voyager just takes the place of the E-D's saucer.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Thanks Nim. I also recall the Birds of Prey in the Generations trailer and in a commercial for the Generations micro-machines. I had that Ent-d micro-machine which had saucer separation capabilities. I also remember the theater I went to in order to see Generations had a paper mache TOS Enterprise. Ah to be young again...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching that Youtube stuff - I remember when first seeing the Enterprise-E and either audibly gasping or saying 'oh wow'!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - this is quite daggy - but really really clever. Sorta reminds me of the Animaniacs Countries of the World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovoRHvsqKjU&mode=related&search=

Watch it to see a bit of the First Contact Battle scene right at the end - in the top right a Steamrunner class is wiped out by the explosion of the Borg Cube! I guess it had no more shields?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Ha that video was fantastic. About that Steamrunner, I also couldn't believe it was caught in the explosion and destroyed especially since some Akiras were also caught in the blast and they survived.

Those seasons were heaven, I wish there were 47!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's that shot from when a BoP decloaks and pitches to port, at 00:37?
It looked so quick and flexible, it couldn't have been from Generations, the ships of that movie moved like snails.

Shik
Member # 343

It IS from GEN. It's when the Klingon Kleavage Kids pick up Droogy McStubble from the obs platform.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps