Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » History Channel - Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier

Author Topic: History Channel - Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For forty years Star Trek has engrossed our imaginations and sent us on voyages across the galaxy. Through ten films and five series this entertainment juggernaut has become a pop culture icon and a window to our society. We will look at the impact that Star Trek has had on fans around the world. From the conventions in Europe and Las Vegas to the billionaire collector who scours the world for memorabilia, we will try to find out just what it is about this supposedly "silly" series that has meant so much to so many. Leonard Nimoy hosts.
Did anyone else catch this? It was two hours long, and seemed to focus around the Christie's auction. Actually, it was fun watching the Okudas going through the warehouse and identifying everything around them. I'm not so good at costumes, but I could identify every single model they had on screen.

The funniest thing was when they started talking about Picard's flute. They showed several people who were trying to bid on it. I don't know who got it, but it went for (I think) around $13k. And then they showed Patrick Stewart who said "It doesn't play! It's not a real flute!" Both my wife and I burst out laughing at that!

It was interesting that this really blew the minds of the Christie's people. Most of the items went for around 10 times their estimated value.

I didn't know Frakes knew what most Trekkies called the "Picard maneuver"! It was funny hearing him mention that on screen. That, and Sirtis talking about her "cheeleader outfit" - the first-season miniskirt.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just pissed that some English dude was able to get both the Voyager model and the Yamaguchi/Excalibur model.

Though I am glad there was a lady who was able to get some item for less than a thousand because she was saying everything seemed to be going for much more than that. It may not be exactly what she was hoping for, but I'm sure she's glad she was able to get something authentic from the auction.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it - the flute went for **forty**-thousand. I did like Patrick Stewart talking about wanting to buy his desk from TNG, then reminding himself, "Oh, right, it's just a bloody prop!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do they know who got all the ship models - just incase they ever need them again??

Isn't the Yamaguchi/Exalibur originally the E-C? Or did they build a second model?

What has the guy done with the ships? In the living room? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's the same model. And from what was shown, I'm guessing he's keeping them in the living room.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would hope that the hero ship models actually make it to a museum someday. (Starting to sound like Indiana Jones here!)

What was really disturbing was watching the guy who bought the Picard/Robin Hood and Shinzon outfits put them on and parade around in them. That was just creepy.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw a couple minutes of the show, but what I saw I didn't really like. I mean I went to the Christie's exhibition in New York and I saw all that stuff. I didn't need to see it again with Trek fans acting weird and retarded around it. As for the models, I don't think they'll ever need them again since nowadays CGI is more prevalent.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they're bound to have taken all the references they could before selling them.

Still think it's a shame they sold all this stuff rather than keeping it in one single collection, but at least this way we all got to see the stuff. Knowing it was safely stored away in crates in some Paramount warehouse was always bittersweet.

Oh, incidentally, there's some interesting stuff on the ebay auction this week. I'm amazed that they still even had Spock's spacesuit from TMP. Weird really, that they kept it for so many years and now something so iconic is being sold off with so little fanfare.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps