Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Fleet Shot From "Sacrifice of Angels:" Models or CG? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fleet Shot From "Sacrifice of Angels:" Models or CG?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he worked on the first Star Wars, he probably has some insight into the limitations of the CG models used in the Special Edition versus the physical models used in 1976. Some improvements, but the X-Wings suffered. They orignally had wing stripes appropriate to their callsigns, but for the SE they were all Red 2, by the wing stripes. I think they all had R2-D2 in the CG shots, too.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd doubt it, actually. One of the first slides he had showed a picture of Maul and Qui-Gon fighting on Tatooine and he asked which one that was from. When we said, "Episode I" it took him a second to realize that what we meant as the 'first one' by saying 'Episode I' was different from the 'first one' which he worked on. From his lecture, it seems that he worked for ILM starting with Star Wars, and through movies like The Motion Picture and Close Encounters of the Third Kind but left at some point well before the Special Editions were anything but a twinkle in Lucas' eyes.

He has some great stories though. He was saying how he worked for a month on the Blockade Runner/Star Destroyer shot from Star Wars before he got so frustrated that he said 'fuck it' and let somebody else deal with it. Imagine that! The opening shot of Star Wars, one of the greatest shots in all of cinema. Connections like that always fascinate me.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he worked on the pre-special edition Star Wars, than he missed up a better example of compositing. The scene with the X-wings/Y-wings leaving Yavin IV must be made using composite shots.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the guy's name, yeh?
OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John C. Moulds.

I checked his IMDB page and it's not nearly as extensive as it should be., not sure why.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because IMDB is very much a precursor to Wikipedia -- it's peer-maintained. If something's not on there that should be, it's because the person who created the entry didn't know about it. You should be able to add info.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

OnToMars
Member # 621

What I figured, though IMDB is usually more comprehensive than that, even for people as out of the spotlight as John. Ah well, whatever.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps