Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Undiscovered Country Conjecture

Author Topic: Undiscovered Country Conjecture
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) In ST:VI, we see Praxis blowing up, and giving the Excelsior a rather cool ride. We also learn that the explosion of Praxis has polluted the atmosphere of Q'onoS. Because of the magnitude of the wave when the Excelsior was hit, it is safe to assume that Praxis is located close to the Klingon-Fed Border. Because the same wave had disasterous consequences on Q'onoS, we are led to believe that Q'onoS is also close (but not too close) to Praxis, and thus the Klingon/Fed Border (which is not a good idea in a fight). Someone suggested that Q'onoS is at the heart of Klingon space. This tends to dispute that theory.

2) Another suggestion was that the Q'onoS mentioned in ST:VI was abandoned after the Praxis Disaster, the Klingons didn't have the resources to combat such a catastrophe. As well, the during the Khitomer Peace Talks, mention was made of an evacuation of Q'onoS. The Q'onoS mentioned in TNG and DS9 is probably a relocation of the original Klingon homeworld. Yet a third possibility is that the Klingons abandoned Q'onoS while the Klingons were working to restore the Original Homeworld. They may have returned before TNG took place.

What do you think?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is off the subject, but the Klingon ship, Kronos One... shouldn't it be spelled Qo'noS One?

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to your first point. What makes you think that the Excelsior was in Federation Space? I don't recall it ever being said that they were. We know that they were obviously close to the Klingon Border but that doesn't neccesarily mean the border with the Federation. They could have easily been charting gaseous anomolies in unclaimed space or in a neatral territory not adverse to Ferderation ships poking around their stellar phenomenon.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm most comfortable with them going to another planet and staying there. Something in orbit losing so much mass in an explotion would have to have an effect on the planet. I suppose the technology exsists to repair the damage, but would have taken a long time.

------------------
One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor. George Carlin

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qu'on'os is the most accurate spelling using English cahracters and sounds, while Kronos is the most phonetically correct.

There was the Praxis being a moon of Qu'on'os idea, but if the shockwave hit the Excelsior a fair distance away, imagine what it would have done to a planet next to it? Nasty...

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*has never seen so many spellings for the same planet name on one page before*

I'd say they almost had to have evacuated (whoever was left), considering that shockwave could've definitely done a lot of damage.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie, they discussed ecological damage done to the homeworld, not physical damage. Perhaps the subspace shockwave didn't affect the planet, possibly due to the planet's gravity well.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering that the shockwave was (however implausibly) planar, it may have missed the planet altogether...

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But every shockwave on Star Trek is planar.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one from Veridia in Generations wasn't planar. HAH!

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Looked it to me... The one in the Amargosa system was, anyway.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...unless I'm grossly mistaken, the shockwaves from Generations were clearly expanding shells of matter from those stars.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ILM, used the shockwave from ST:VI in the SE of Jedi...

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nice topic to discuss with Mike Wong who mocks about Federation technology which is affected by a subspace shockwave, while a planet is not. Praxis is not necessarily orbiting Kronos from all I know from the movie. Yet, it was probably meant as one of the moons of Kronos, since it would make more sense if the moon with the main power supply were close to a planet where the power is needed.

BTW: Wouldn't the correct spelling be:
[official transcription of Klingon name of what we pronounce "Kronos"]+" "+[official transcription of Klingon number "One"]

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Qo'noS wa', IIRC the Klingon for "one"...?

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps