Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Creative disdain (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Creative disdain
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to take a moment to vent if I may. I've recently heard two things that have really given me the old red-ass. 1: that Brannon Braga (I think) said in an interview that fans are "too attentive" to details and 2: that the creators of DS9 vowed never to mention the events of FC because they didn't like the way "their" ship, the Defiant, was used as a plot device.

My responce to both is negative. I'll use myself as an example. I'm an illustrator. Say that I hate the Steamrunner Class (I don't really). Say I think that the idea of an outrigged nav deflector is dumb, it looks bad and is technically wrong. Say I'm hired by someone to do an illustration of a Steamrunner class ship. Do I take it upon myself to move the nav def onto the main body of the ship thereby completely over looking established canon? NO! I'm adding a piece to an already established universe, not making my own! So are the writers of ALL the Trek venues. They're all bloody connected. They all work together. If you don't like it, don't write for them! If you're not creating for the fans, who are you creating for?

And as for being pissed about using the Defiant, it worked great! Personally, I think the movie should've started with the Defiant, but it was a GREAT tie in to the other series, and it acknowledged the fact that everything is supposed to be working together. Suck it up people.

Comments?

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some say if Brannon Braga wasn't so much up top the Star Trek Realm, we'd have some stable continuity for once........... Brannon is probably doing this for himself only, and he thinks that these things are like Tuesday night sitcoms........ each ep is basically unrelated to each others (except for the few, of course).

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 10, 1999).]

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone working for their own interests. They don't like something so they take their revenge by never mentioning it in a show or changing it. A few years ago, everyone was working together. Now, they are split apart. I wonder what Gene Roddenberry would say if he was alive. He probably would be furious at the childness of the writers. Even though he would be almost 80, he would probably take over Star Trek again to stop downfall in petty bickering.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that the events of First Contact were mentioned on DS9, if only briefly.

As for Braga's image as the bad boy of Trek...it's a bit exaggerated. And having such a rogue in the stables isn't such a bad thing.

As far as continuity goes, we have, contrary to the rumors which were flying last season, at least one rather large episode coming up that's going to be about events that took place back in the first season. Hardly what one would expect from someone who hates continuity.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you stick people who know Star Trek together with those who don't, in order to produce a TV show, that's a good thing. Look at the Moore/Braga combination from way-back-when.

Even Joe Menosky/Brannon Braga now, or just having someone like Michael Taylor or Bryan Fuller on the writing staff.

It's a good thing. Old ideas, new ideas. Best of both worlds.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. What did you want them to do in DS9?

Sisko: We've uncovered this ancient relic from the surface of Bajor.

Admiral: Good. The Defiant was attacked by the Borg and was almost destroyued but the Enterprise-E turned up and rescued Worf who went with the Enterprise back in time and then the time-line changed but picard killed the Borg Queen and we fixed the Defiant and it's back here now.

Sisko: Yes. I like Bajor don'tcha know.

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one that wants Ira Behr at the helm of Trek? get rid of the upstart Braga, and let the continuitive juices flow.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't get me wrong. I'm positive that the different viewpoints of the creators make a better show. I also didn't expect a recap of FC in DS9 (I realize there was a line referring to the recent Borg attack and one concering the existence of a new Enterprise). The problem I have is the spirit with which the creators approach the matter. A "who cares about the fans" attitude pisses me off. And if the ship and story line I created showed up in another movie and acknowledged the storyline I was involved with, I'd be thrilled!!

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, Joe Menosky all the way.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Clears trash off chair in the Braga haters club for Aban)

Welcome, brother!!

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Braga is a psycho
but Ira Behr is a sociopath who'd expose Starfleet as an evil conspiracy designed by the expansionist Vulcans who ae really after our Earth's sweet confectionery!
Braga pays lip service to contiuity and understands the "feel" of the franchise. Behr did his best to get DS9 excommunicated.

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

And then there a people like Joe Menosky, Ron Moore, Rene Echevarria, Lisa Klink, and Michael Taylor who used to be fans and respect continuity rather well, I think.

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an interview with Moore at The Great Link, in which he admitted that he didn't really care what had happened in the past, as long as it worked for his episode.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited October 12, 1999).]

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monty: After Behr finished that, he start work on his new series Star Trek: Ferengi!
As to a DS9 tie in with FC, I didn't really expect more than one line. Just a better line. All they had to do is wait for an ep where the defiant wasn't going to appear (preferably without Worf too) and make a reference to it being at McKinley station getting patched up from the Borg battle.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Actually, what I wanted was something like "The Defiant just got back from and Worf says she weathered the beating she took form the Borg rather well.." Back to business. Something that says, "Yes, Worf was gone. Yes, FC actually took place and effected DS9. Yes the producers of this show acknowledge and support the fact that all three current venues exist in the same universe and effect each other."

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps