Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Trek, personal philosophy, Earth, the Federation, & other assorted random bits (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Trek, personal philosophy, Earth, the Federation, & other assorted random bits
Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
but I still maintain its a good thing that we don't like to sit around waiting, or doing nothing.

You contradict yourself. If your generation is indeed concentrating their time on eating burgers and watching Big Brother, I'd be inclined to say sitting around wasting time is all they are doing! [Wink] [Razz]
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it Hemingway that said, "If I contradict myself, so be it" or something like that? ;p Anyway, like I said adjacent to that, it would be a good thing if we filled it with good things instead of shitty things. I think you shouldn't waste time learning about topics in school that you won't remember or use once you get into the real world, or putting up with the government jacking you around, or putting off that trip to the doctor, all reasoning that good things come to those who wait, or that nothing lasts and one day it will change on its own... you don't have infinite time slots to fill, and you should fill them with what's important. It's just that what's important to people is utterly unimportant. [Big Grin]

As long as we're talking about the future being bleak and/or great, I found this.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not has it. People these days have the idea of what they want, and they want it NOW, regardless of any consequenses. They don't think that far ahead, or if they do, they don't give a damn.

I say people, but I think it is only a true problem with net connected people, and not all, but a very good portion of them.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, when you get right down to it, it's utterly pointless to talk about. If we're that bad we'll destroy ourselves; if we're not, we won't. Whether we 'grow' or not is really down to our nature, and not to debates between people who will never agree. As a very wise man(like creature) once said, sod it all and try to be happy.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget who said "A good conversation is one that makes you think afterwards." Or close to that.

A debate is nothing more than a conversation, so how could a good debate be pointless. Agree or not, if it makes you think/reflect afterwards it can, possibly, change your point of view.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

And I believe that this conversation is over....

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel Butler is paraphrasing Walt Whitman, btw.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Actually, I was paraphrasing Douglas Adams. But that works too [Big Grin]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This hour I tell things in confidence,
I might not tell everybody, but I will tell you.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you, Walt Whitman!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Oh, that. I thought you meant the bit about sodding it all and trying to be happy.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps