Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Stellar Cartography/Astrometrics Lab

Author Topic: Stellar Cartography/Astrometrics Lab
Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking through my Encyclopedia today (version 2, not 3) and caught the picture of the Enterprise-D's stellar mapping room, and it struck me...

Could that room be the equivalent of Voyager's astrometrics lab?

We know that the astrometrics lab was on Voyager since it was launched, and that we've only seen it since it was enhanced with Borg technology from Seven of Nine. So if it was installed before the ship was launched, its reasonable to assume that other classes of ship would have an astrometrics lab, as well. Of course, Voyager's would be more advanced because of the Borg technology, but the room on the Enterprise could still be an astrometrics lab. What do you think?

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by Stellar-mapping you mean Stellar-cartography, then they do have too much in common for it to be a coincidence. The Astrometrics lab is just Stellar Cartography done on a smaller budget.

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Psyliam said, plus welcome to the place!

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What PsyLiam and Kosh said, plus that I have the impression the stellar cartography on the Enterprise-D is a whole department with several people working there, the room from "Generations" being only one (maybe the most important) of many rooms. Someone remember the episode title where Picard fell in love with the woman from stellar cartography? The astrometric lab on Voyager could be a room that is used only occasionally by people whose main job is not cartography, thus the different name.

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ep where Picard fell in love with the head of Stellar Cartography was "Lessons". One of the better TNG episodes, IMO.

------------------
"I see you have the ring. And that your Schwartz is as big as mine!
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr..... no, I believe that was Astrophysics.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think it was SC...

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for astrophysics. Why would a stellar cartographer be doing the stuff she was down on the planet.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, Stellar Cartography. Head of the department, too. As to what her mission on the planet was...heck if I know. But then, what mission would an astrophysicist have there?

------------------
"Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile."
--
Soul Coughing

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I had a similar topic at the Voyager forums a while back. This topic does answer my questions after a long while...

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, am I the only one who has these episodes on tape and watches them repeatedly??

It was Stellar Cartography not Astrophyics, her name was Lt. Com. Neela Darren and she was the head of the department. She was on the planets surface because of firestorms that were approaching. Several years earlier she had been in a similar situation and had used the deflector grid to establish a firewall. She volunteered to do the same thing here. And you people call yourselves fans...

As for the difference between Astrophysics and SC I think the supposition that Voyager was too small, and that a Galaxy class ship is also an exploration and science vessel, is pretty good. With a G class you've got lots of room for whole departments. I mean, they even had a xeno-botanist on board, Voyager doesn't have the luxury but they would still need a good map room and place to study spacial phenomena.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one JH. 8)

------------------
Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away! - Jerry Seinfeld

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm as guilty as charged, too, JH.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps