Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Who are your 3 favorite Trek characters from the 5 Trek shows and why ?

Author Topic: Who are your 3 favorite Trek characters from the 5 Trek shows and why ?
Abgorg
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who are presently your 3 personal favorite Trek characters (preferably ones from the 5 live action Trek shows and only characters who've appeared in at least 6 episodes of the series they were in) and please say why for each one named. I thought this subject had been previously discussed on this great forum, but a forum search shows it hasn't. These are my 3 picks and the reason why for each one.

1] Jean-Luc Picard, an outer space version Horatio Hornblower and an intellectual explorer with the heart of a poet. He commands with dignity and respect, defined the evolved human factor and is the best representation of all of Star Treks's ultimate ideals. As both a soldier, philosopher and gentle, sensitive diplomat, he's much more complex, intriguing and intelligent than James T. Kirk and exhibits a very real perception of the efforts needed for varied races and creeds to live in peace with each other. His willingness to see the other side of problems and questions and to admit when he's wrong, shows qualities of great leadership.

2] Spock. He's not only greatest character in Star Trek, but also in network TV. He embraces all the ideals Trek stands for, yet grapples with his internal conflict (while recognizing his own frailties, as well as those around him) and he and others, always became the better for it. His inner conflict between logic and emotion, mirrors the insecurity we've all felt. He was the original alien, the first observer of humanity. His role was recreated by Data on ST : The Next Generation, Odo on ST : DS9 and the Doc on ST : Voyager. To reflect upon humanity from an outside perspective, is something only sci-fi can do and Trek at it's best, does it brilliantly. Spock is a legend, but before that, was a well-written character serving as a template for numerous alien characters since, not only on Trek, but throughout sci-fi.

3] Doctor Bones McCoy, the embodiment of the holistic approach to healthcare, long before it became fashionable in our real world and the perfect foil for the coldly logical and relentlessly analytical Mr. Spock. Not only was he kind and courteous (even in the worst situations), but he was an 'Everyman in Space', an entry-level character I could identify with, in his distrust of technology and total lack of enthusiasm for risk-taking and peril. Being driven to save lives and ease suffering, as a staunch friend and loyal supporter to Kirk, he was never afraid of giving him a hard time, when he thought he neglected his health or took unneccessary risks.

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking hell.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doctor McCoy; Not only was he kind and courteous (even in the worst situations),
*spurts tea all over his smoking jacket*
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantasy, religious works, and any book about an insane person can comment on humanity from an outside perspective, not just sci-fi.

The hell happened, did somebody put Flare in StumbleUpon or something?

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shall I get the popcorn? S'mores fixins?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Fucking hell.

Yes, how dare Abgorg come here and try to participate. [Roll Eyes]

I can not say I have 3 favorite ones, as each had their pros and cons that meshed, for the most part, to counter the others cons and pros.

Another question a person could ask is : Why did you watch Trek in it's various incarnations?

Okay, now go get them S'mores fixins.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Fucking hell.

Yes, how dare Abgorg come here and try to participate. [Roll Eyes]

I can not say I have 3 favorite ones, as each had their pros and cons that meshed, for the most part, to counter the others cons and pros.

Another question a person could ask is : Why did you watch Trek in it's various incarnations?

Okay, now go get them S'mores fixins.

Because it was sci-fi and it didn't suck.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking hell.

ENT did.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, he said Star Trek, not the bullshit *based* off it... [Wink] Seriously, when someone mentions Trek, the first image in my head is the TOS movies, followed by TNG and TOS. DS9, VOY, ENT, and the other movies feel somehow less Trekkish to me.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what you've grown up with. When I was little I had a few videotapes around that my family had recorded off the TV. One was TSFS. Imagine being four years old and watching Star Trek 3 over and over again. I had no earthly idea what was going on. (I do remember the commercials on the tape quite well...) And then we got TWOK, which we recorded during a storm, so it had a nice warning banner going across the bottom. Anyway, I think what made me like it so much was that the ships were HUGE. I loved the Enterprise, Excelsior, Grissom, Spacedock, the Klingon BOP...

I remember going to the local video store, where every time a new Trek movie came out they'd update their poster. I remember the surprise when I found out there was a Star Trek FOUR! And then FIVE, too!

I also saw an occasional episode of TNG, probably first run, in black and white at my grandparents when there was nothing else on. I remember The Royale and Heart of Glory specifically. My brothers had a couple Trek books, one Which Way, another a novelization of Encounter at Farpoint.

I don't know when I actually finally saw an episode of TOS. Come to think of it, it may have been a broadcast of The Cage when I was seven or eight. (As you can imagine, that confused the hell out of me.) I really got into TNG reruns about eight or nine, and started buying the companion books. I remember seeing commercials for DS9 and thinking it was some movie, not realizing it was a whole series.

Basically, since the time I was able to comprehend what was going on I was exposed to Star Trek in so many different, constantly changing forms that I've always been able to accept new incarnations.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yeah, my dad used to play STIV and VI constantly. We saw V once, and I-III a few times each. TNG and TOS were always on at some point in the day, it seems...but I never watched DS9 until after it was in reruns, and the same for Voyager, even though I was quite old enough to have seen them both first-run. So, splains it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps