Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Gossip on Fifth Series ?!?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gossip on Fifth Series ?!?!
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anybody else saw this on TrekToday, but this insider calling himself "Chris Pike" paints a rather desperate picture in the offices of the Great Bird....

TrekToday reports...

Rule #1:
Never believe anything until it's been officially denied

Rule #2:
Never underestimate the lunacy inside Hollywood.

Now, SPEAK YOUR BRAINS!

------------------
"NO! NO! Kill you all!
Die! MAKE YOU SUFFER!!!"

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like the problem with Star Trek is the politics between the producers. They can't seem to get along anymore. Maybe Star Trek should end for a few years and come back. People may want what they have been missing then and Star Trek could be better. Voyager could finish its seventh season, maybe give it an eight to see if that will help, end the television run of Star Trek, keep the movies going. After a few years bring it back. It may help the producers cool down. Or why not just get new producers? Gene Roddenberry trusted them to keep Star Trek alive and they did for a while. There must be someone who can bring life back to Star Trek.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(If true) Drat! I was hoping we would someday see a prequel that showed how the Federation came together at the beginning.

If the report is, in fact, true, I think I shall have to accustom myself to watching reruns like I did after the demise of the original series (the animated one hardly counts -- it was a Filmation product :P).

--Baloo

------------------
Oreos: <I>Ori-oz</I> (aleph-vav-resh-yud-ayin-zayin), translates as "my light is the source of strength."
--Lori's Mishmash Jewish Humor http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/h--jewis.html
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I would do is go back, look at TOS, reexamine TOS, there is so much to be learned about TOS that fans without VCRs and frame-grabs couldn't learn...I'm speaking for the group of fans over at the Starships forum, of course, but we don't even know the canon systems configuration onboard the TOS Enterprise - it's all based on Franz Joseph and "The Making of Star Trek"

Outside the techie forums, TOS is a fun show to watch every time I catch an episode. What I desperately want to do is sit down and go through all the 79 episodes (I haven't even seen all of them, and it's been years), go through all the movies, TNG, DS9...(maybe VOY, but let's not push it)

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been out of the US (in Japan) for the past 6 years so have seen almost no Voyager and only the first 2 years of DS9. However, it's clear that what passes for Star Trek is not capturing the "hearts and minds" of the public. As Cmdr. Paris says, it might be better to take a few years' rest. Let Voyager come home now, and stop making movies. Unfortunately, I think the powers that be look upon Star Trek like a shark: if it stops it will die. In their eyes mediocre or even bad Trek which is still profitable is preferable to no Trek at all. In addition, I think that they believe if Star Trek goes off the air now while it's on a downward arc, it can't be revived. I think a lot of fans also think that OK Trek is better than no Trek.

I agree that Star Trek needs to be reborn. I think that Voyager was an attempt to make a fresh start by jettisoning Star Trek's 30-year history. Unfortunately, this experiment failed, perhaps because the same people have been involved in Star Trek since the launch of TNG. Fresh blood, or at least someone's blood, is needed. I wonder what Nicholas Meyer is doing now?

As an old guy who grew up with the original series and loves it most of all I think the prequel idea is great. But I don't know how many people feel the same way about TOS. Maybe most of today's fans don't even like or haven't even seen TOS.

Among other things I like the fact that TOS told a single story well, rather than telling two unrelated A and B stories. Hey, how about this: remake TOS with new actors!! In the early 1980s the "Odd Couple" was remade with the original scripts but now with black actors (it only lasted a few weeks). (PS: this is not a serious suggestion)

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think getting rid of Trek's history is a big big mistake too. The whole franchise is built on a continuing story line; "The Human Adventure."

The creator's need to jettison their baggage and get back to creating! These are supposed to be artistic people. They're in the business of providing entertainment. And they get paid a ton for it. I for one don't want to hear about their little power struggles.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think Roddenberry would have chosen an heir-apparent before he died...

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who do you think Rick Berman is?

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm terrified what "new directions" might constitutte a fifth series.

Roddenberry Optimistic future?
Not if the DS9 faction wins power, didn't Hewitt-Wolfe suggest a saga set after the "collapse of the Federation"?

Continuity?
Getting too detailed for a non-fan to keep uip with. Likely to mean simple ignoring of established canon.

Human adventure?
What's left to tell? humanity goes to the stars. OK, but it has to meet rathermore interesting dramatic foils than blokes with funny foreheads.

I think it's telling that even FANS are struggling to come up with an original idea for a new series.

------------------
"NO! NO! Kill you all!
Die! MAKE YOU SUFFER!!!"

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you really think that they would be so ignorant of their fan base as to suggest something along the lines of 'collapse of the Federation'? There were enough people that had a problem with the DS9 war stories. Personally I didn't mind it, but to totally jettison the idea of the Federation as suriving because of it's values and to say that it collapsed, the only relation it would have to Trek would be it's name. They couldn't even use Starfleet plausibly. Would they be so stupid?

If the report is accurate it doesn't seem like anyone at Paramount is concerned with Trek. Not just TPTB but Berman, Braga, etc. I understand that they have to have jobs but if they're only interest in Trek is from that viewpoint then the whole thing is doomed. I think we can all agree that the only people who should be messing with Trek are those that have a vested interest in the show's premises. Not someone whose only interest is in a paycheck gained at the price of those same premises.

It's just sad. How much longer can I be a Trek fan if they keep this up? If this is what they really want to do why not just come up with a non-Trek series from these creators? I'd watch that, but not if they called it Trek.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else think Majel Barret would be the best choice to run the series'?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Not really. After all, the only Trek ever had any involvement with directly (in writing) was DS9's "The Muse".

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Omega
Member # 91

And how many eps did Gene write after the first seasons of the first two shows? How many of the ones he wrote are truely classic Trek? The point is that I think she shares his dream.

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, then, as a producer.

In any case, I noticed the beginning of a trend when the Great Bird of the Galaxy passed away. It appeared to me that TPTB were concerned that with the absence of the guiding light of the series (Gene Roddenberry) no-one really knew what to do with Trek. It appeared to me that their tactic was to simply milk the cash cow (the trek franchise) as fast as possible to get all the profits they could before it died a natural (but greatly hastened) death. I think it surprised the Paramount execs that Trek has lasted as long as it has without Gene R., and they're afraid to do anything more because they are not confident that series 5 will turn a profit. They fear that whatever momentum the franchise possessed is about gone, and any money spent on it at this late date stands a good chance of vanishing without a trace.

Just My opinion.

--Baloo

------------------
Hobbes: Do you think there's a God?
Calvin: Well, somebody's out to get me."
--Bill Watterson
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 10, 1999).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha... on Baloo's sig. I'm glad not to be the only Calvin & Hobbes fan here.

------------------
7 of 9 alarm clock: "Wake up. Resistance is futile."
Dilbert: "I wonder if I could ever date a woman like Jeri Ryan."
7 of 9 alarm clock: "That too is futile."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps