Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What would make a 5th series good? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would make a 5th series good?
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
I'm just talking from the statistical point of view. In the 24th century, the Federation consists of of like 150 members, right? For this reason, I doubt that human is the dominant species (in number). Why is it that all the starships shown, are filled with humans?

------------------
Logic is the beginning of wisdom

IP: Logged
Saboc
Ex-Member

By the way, I am human. And I'm green and from the planet Mars. That's all.
LOL

------------------
Logic is the beginning of wisdom

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're not all human. This isn't a recent picture, but it will have to do:

[No, it isn't really my picture, but I don't have any digital pics.]

Ever notice how cartoon characters are considered "decent" as long as they're wearing a single article of human clothing? Boo-boo (of Yogi Bear) wears nothing but a bow tie.

I wonder if any alien races have similar dress codes.

"Kozak! The body paint on your nose is peeling!"

"Yikes! Thanks for telling me!"

[Camera pans back far enough so the audience can tell the two aliens are wearing only body paint, on their noses.]

After all, the Ferengi view clothed females as provocative. I suppose it's because you can only imagine what they look like underneath. I suppose Ferengi have very active imaginations?

--Baloo

------------------
It is far less important to agree than it is to understand.
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're getting dangerously off topic here, but let's continue.

I remember that "visual futurist" Syd Mead (designer of USS Sulaco, USS Leonov, The Spinner, et al.) suggested that aliens might find human bodies and facial orifices (eyes, nose, ears, and mouth) so repulsive that we would need special suits (encounter suits) to hide our forms. What Ambassador Kosh wears on B5 is similar in concept. Of course, even on earth different cultures believe in revealing only certain parts of their faces or bodies and consider other parts extremely attractive. For example, Japanese men have traditionally liked the back of a woman's neck.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Lordy, another Gargoyles fan in the shape of TerraZ!
Woo-hoo!
Terra, do you have any idea what was the last episode? They were being shown here three years ago, and I ranted for a week when it was pulled -- I'm just wondering if they yanked it when it was finished, or if there was still life in the old gargoyle yet.

Garak: is Shankaar writing for the Outer Limits now? I seem to recall that name at the end of an episode or two that was shown lately.

BTW, Baloo isn't wearing any pants!!

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah-HA!

However, as an anthropomorphic creature I am considered perfectly decent as long as I'm still wearing my hat and shirt (and don't shave ).

As far as what I would like to see in the next series, I'm afraid they turned down my favorite choice when they decided not to do a prequel to TOS.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

TerraZ
Ex-Member

Gaseous: It's not on topic, but who cares? The last episode of the 2nd season (the last "official" one since the 3rd season was produced by Buena Vista instead of Disney with worse animation, stupid stories except for the 1st epi and didn't have the huge story arc of the original. It aired on ABC) was called Hunter's Moon, a 3-parter. It basically follow the arrivals of the 3 hunters, descendants of Gilcom Gain (a scotish boy who was scared in the face by Demona way back in City of Stone) named Jason (the vengeful one), John (the pacifist) and their sister seeking revenge for the death of their father by Demona.

They embush the clan on a building with their hovercraft and Angela is almost fatally wounded. They save her but Goliath becomes very bitter. At the same time, Demona hatches a plan to wipe humanity by stealing a powerful herbicide and combining it with a carrier virus with a powerful spell which will destroy all sentient life. However, she intends to protect de Gargoyles with a relic called the Praying Gargoyle.

Jasonr passes as a cop and becomes Elisa's new partner and he falls in love with her. Meanwhile, the sister hunter becomes a secretary for Dominique Destine. All spare you most of the details but the Hunters find the Gargoyles on the clocktower (the police station) and although Joh doesn't want to, the sister fires 2 missiles at it. Fortunately, they had ducked, expecting the attacks after finding a tracer on them. Goliath backtracks the signal with Elisa and find the hover craft at a dam. During the fight, Elisa falls into the river with Jason. Thinking she is dead, Goliath is enraged.

Ok, time to sum it up. John gets a change of heart when he thinks Jason has died and he and his sister learn of Demona's plan and chase her to an abandonned cathedral. The gargoyles have also followed Demona so while she prepares her spell, the others fight each other. When everyone is almost beaten up, Elisa arrives with Jason who has now lost is desire for revenge. He wants to convince the others to stop but John, now convinced the Gargoyles are evil fires at Goliath. Jason intercepts the beam and fall wounded and John, under the shocks accuses the gargoyles and flies away, swearing to get revenge.

While Jason is tended by his sister, the gargoyles catches Demona as she has already cast the spell. All she must do is break a vial filled with the viral compound to destroy humanity but Goliath grabs the Praying Gargoyle and breaks it. Knowing her race is no longer protected, she flies away in rage. The police arrives to capture the clan but Xanatos reach them first and bring them home, on the castle. As the sun rise above the horizon, Goliath is kissed by Elisa. The end. Whew! What a pain to write! You'd better enjoy it!

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Give me Good Trek or give me Death!
*Me*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*loves Gargoyles, too*
*vagule remembers those eps*

I think I saw the very last one. I'm going to have to get my friend (who has Bell ExpressVu [Thank God for satellite dishes]) to record them. I must admit, the "Goliath Chronicles" were pretty stupid. Goliath, Elisa, and Angela traveling around the world in a rowboat from Avalon....

And this is something that's been bothering me for a long time: What's Goliath's clone's name?

------------------
"Waaawhooo! Lookie here ma, I caught me a lightnin' bug!"
-Jetstorm

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dangerously off topic. Be careful, guys........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Something like Bab5, where the entire series is all planned out, with everything slowly falling into place until the finale, where the big shocking thing is revealed."

There was a big shocking twist in the B5 finale? Someone want to point it out to me?

There was a twist in "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum". There was a twist in "Messages from Earth". There was a twist in "Z'ha'Dum". "Sleeping in Light" however I managed to pretty much guess the frame-work before s5 had ever aired.

Not to say that it's a bad episode I'm telling ya.

And why is EVERYONE obsessed with continuity? I get the feeling that the stories can be crap, but as long as they say "Kirk's final year of his original 5 year mission aboard the constitution class USS Enterprise NCC 1701 was 2269" everyone would be happy.

And to counter the B5 thing, DS9 never planned it's story-arcs out (much). Buffy never plans it story arcs out much beyond a year. And they have both been the best shows on TV for the past half-decade.

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a lot of the time, discontinuity is what makes the shows crap... :-)

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term "continuity" should be better defined. Is it rather the logical continuity that the series must not present anything as impossible which nevertheless happens a few episodes later. This is crap indeed, and I admit it happened in Voyager but in all other Trek series as well.

If, however, plot continuity is expected, then TOS and TNG didn't have any. Even DS9 didn't have as much continuity as commonly stated, simply because no important officer of an important space station is supposed to go on a long vacation or even a spy mission for several months, and they wouldn't have business as usual on the station all the time. About two thirds of the plots during the Dominion War could have taken place during the first three seasons as well.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps