Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg Babies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Borg Babies
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Borg were unable to grow babies outside of an actually living drone, I think they just wouldn't bother. They'd see it as more trouble than it was worth. That why you'll never see a pregnant Borg.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is illogical. Even though the Borg assimilate other races, their biological components will require replacement at a rate that might possibly exceed the rate at which they can "harvest" new races. There is also the necessity to establish an infrastructure to distribute new biological units to where they are needed.

It would be more efficient to produce more biological replacement parts wherever they were required, to avoid the possibility that new "recruits" might not be readily available precisely when required. Assimilation, no matter what rate at which it is occurring, will not always result in the desired amount of good replacement biological units when and where required.

--Baloo

------------------
Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.
--Mark Twain
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that TSN is arguing with you. He's just saying that, while the Borg might use such artificial wombs as have been postulated in this thread, they are unlikely to waste a whole drone for that purpose. Which means we all agree, yes?

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. And they should really have harnessed the whole invitro-concept, as it would be in their interest!

And if extensive cloning makes borg-DNA degenerated after a thousand generations like the marisposans, they could just assimilate someone and have a new fresh batch of DNA to spoil!
They should have quiet a lot of alternatives to "fill their ranks", seeing as Borg ethics is just about nil.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-I thought I was pisces!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps