Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Series 5 Rumors ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Series 5 Rumors ($$$)
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am quite surprised that everyone hates the idea of a starfleet intelligence based series so much.
I guess I'll be the devil's advocate and say that I have always thought starfleet intelligence would be a great idea for a show. It offers a great deal of versatility. Practically any Star Trek setting could be used. It could range from vastly different from anything we've seen before, to the same old comfortable starship enviorons. Go anywhere, pose as anyone... the possibilities are incredible.
I agree that this would be something suited to a smaller central cast (2-4, but then again I hope that whatever the next Star Trek is, it doesn't try to do the giant ensemble thing again. A smaller group and tighter focus are in order.
I don't think that a section 31 show would be a good ideal, but they sure would make a great enemy for a SF intelligence show.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the idea but I'm afraid it would turn into a Mission: Impossible picture this:

A Cardassian bridge. They're all walking around discussing a secret attack on a Fed base.

"Heh, heh. They're shields will be down in seconds. They'll never know what hit them..."

The camera pans over to one of the main characters disguised as a Cardie who reaches under his vest to reveal a com badge. He looks at the camera and gives a little grin.

Cut to black and fuse lights and starts trailing across the screen...

Seriously though, I think they may run out of enemies to be up against. Does the fed really have that many serious threats going on? Especially since the war just ended? And the exploration angle might be totally dropped.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're dealing with the infinite reaches of space here. Not much chance of running out of things.

But speaking specifically about enemies, nobody has cleared things up with the ones already present.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

giskard
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sorry to sound the dopey goat here. But dont you think Star Trek needs a rest. I remember looking forward to each and every episode of TNG with baited breath..so much so that i never even realised Gates couldnt act

But these days the draw has worn off. Sure the episodes are dull at times..but there used be a time when i never noticed.

Give the show a rest and let the pastures grow..then we can let it loose again with greater force

Giskard

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This it television, not crop rotation.

Beyond that, I think a lot of this has to do with the nature of the fans themselves. I mean, consider that most fans today have grown up with a constant supply of Trek. It's no great surprise that they've lost their taste for it. I went through a two year period where I hated peanut butter, for instance. In any case, I think this has less to do with the franchise itself than it does with fan burnout.

Aha, you say. Proof a break is needed. Not exactly. For the burnt out, sure. But the at times unpleasent reality is that those of us gathered here do not constitute the majority of Star Trek's viewers.

Personally, I'm unsure. A good show is a good show, and a bad show is a bad show, regardless of when they are released. But taking into account the rapidly changing nature of television, I don't think waiting is a risk Paramount is willing to take. Keep in mind that the number of eyeballs glued to almost everything on network TV has been marginalized over the past decade or so. These days, people rarely can sit through an thirty minute episode without watching three others at the same time. And we expect them to continue to care for years? Why should I stay devoted to a show when I've got five hundred other channels to choose from? And, in another five or ten years, when I can watch almost anything I choose online, created by anyone who wants to create it.

The times they are a changin', and Paramount is no doubt aware of this.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to a fellow Asimov fan!

I think a good old exploration show would be good enough. Just keep it in the same general area, so we get some good recurring characters like DS9.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps