Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$ Spoiler$$$$ Asteroid

Author Topic: $$$$ Spoiler$$$$ Asteroid
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no geophysisist but in Terra Nove T'pol said that an asteroid hit about 500km from the colony and shot down to a depth of 2000m. It seems to me that if an object hit hard enough to dig that far down, that close to the colony then they all should have been wiped out by the blast and thermal shock. I don't think that radiation would have been a problem as thay all would have been dead.
Secondly this would have been a global disaster but they said that the southern continents were clean.
Any thoughts on this subject.
Paul

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, no, not really.

But you should put some "$$$$" and "Spoilers" in your title.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did she say how big it was? that would probably make the difference.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given some basic information like impact crater size and amount of original asteroid material left and other data from the impact site, geologists can get a pretty complete idea of what the asteroid was and thus what affect it had. It's done here on Earth all the time. Of course, an asteroid wouldn't bury itself beneath the surface, it would create a crater of empty space around where it hit.

More bad science. Yay.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[any my dramatic ending is ruined...yay.]

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the not putting the $$$$$ spoilers $$$.
I am kinda new to this and didn't know the convention.
Paul

--------------------
M. Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can edit your title, though, and correct your mistake
Grokca
Member # 722

Thanks Mike, just an example of my usual boobery
Paul

--------------------
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam's gonna have a field day when he sees that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I interpreted that scene totally differently, and since my tape is hours away, I'll have to just babble and pretend to remember.

T'Pol wasn't talking about how deep the asteroid itself got. They were trying to gauge the severity of the impact, and she mentioned that there was evidence of...what...thermal shock? Or maybe some sort of fissures...anyway, evidence of some sort at a depth of 2000 meters. She certainly did not say that the crater itself was 2000 meters deep.

Incidently, it is fairly hard to find information about the geology of terrestrial impact sites that is detailed enough to be useful (in this case, for purposes of comparison) but not so detailed as to make my head explode.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps