Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Something wrong with the Encyclopedia 3...

Author Topic: Something wrong with the Encyclopedia 3...
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found this out today while looking up the Movie-era ranking system. It appears the Okudas DID edit the original section of the Encyclopedia II! Just look on page 210, the Movie-era ranks have been totally changed! Here's a list of the edits:

Fleet Admiral - Gold branches added to the outer ring. Small silver circles added to areas between arrowheads on inner rings

Admiral - Outer ring of silver added, 4 small circles in areas between arrowheads on outer ring

Vice Admiral - 4 Gold Arrowheads on a larger center ring, with golden circle in middle.

Rear Admiral - 4 Gold Arrowheads on a larger center ring, without the golden circle the Vice Admiral has

Commodore - 2 Gold Arrowheads

Fleet Captain - unchanged

Captain - unchanged

Commander - unchanged

Lieutenant Commander - unchanged

Lieutenant - Mistake in all Encyclopedia called this rank "Captain", now changed to Lieutenant. Gold Bar is now connecting the two silver triangles

Lieutenant (Junior Grade) - Same as the old Lieutenant Rank, or, if you want to look at it another way, the old Lieutenant (Junior Grade Rank) with two of the triangles with gold bars

Ensign - unchanged

Master CPO - unchanged

Master CPO 2nd Class - unchanged

Senior CPO - unchanged

CPO - unchanged

Petty Officer 2nd Class - Renamed Petty Officer 1st Class. Slightly more detail.

Ables'man - unchanged

Now, not only did they change those, but the Departmant Colors are changed too! They changed Medical from the sand color to a light green color.

The Enslisted Crew insignia (worn on left breast) was also changed from bronze to silver

Does anyone have ANY clue why they would do this? Especially since they left so many mistakes in the rest of the book? I might just e-mail Okuda and ask about it...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! I can't believe I didn't notice this...it's actually the correct system, which Galen demonstrated a while ago. The only problem is with the Lt. Commander rank...should be like the Commander one, but with one bar.

Also, another change I noticed..."Petty Officer" is now "CPO" and "CPO" is now "Senior CPO."

The other known change in the book is the name change of the Steamrunner in the size chart in the back (Hiroshima becomes Appalachia).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited December 19, 1999).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I sent a mail to the Okudas concerning it, and they replied within an hour! Mike said that they were allowed to edit only small amounts of information from the original section, and the ranking system really bothered them so they choose that as one of their things (I wonder what else they changed...).

Mike also said that a 3rd edition of the Chronology is still possible, and Pocket Books has shown interest in it, but there is nothing official.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Lt.Cmdr in "Mr Scott's Guide" and the older Encyclopedia, with the rung replaced by two small "nipples", was wrong all the time?

Then the insignum on Valeris would be a correct Lt.Cmdr one (in which case her "Lieutenant" rank becomes curiouser and curiouser...).

Are the department colors okay for STII-VI now? Or was the Medical mix-up the only one fixed?

And if the current flag pins are correct, which of them did Kirk wear in the movies? This sounds extremely interesting - where would this sort of variation in detail in the pins come from, if not from a real art department effort put on this thing? I doubt the Okudas cooked it all up by themselves.

And does anybody know a source for the enlisted rating pins? I still can't believe they actually appeared in any of the movies...

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The alien comms officer in STIV also wore the Lt. Commander pin.

Kirk wore the Rear-Admiral pin. BTW, according to Galen, the system now in the encyclopedia was published in a book or something to that effect a while ago, IIRC. It was indeed a set of drawings by someone in the art department.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that I had been referenced in the forums, and since I have been away for awhile I thought I had better stop in and check. I indeed made my versions of the TOS movie rank pins based on drawings by Robert Fletcher who did the costumes for the TOS movies. Okuda pretty much came close to what I had done. He still has the Lt. Commander wrong in my opinion. If I can dig up the book I will post the original design sketches.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

[This message has been edited by Galen (edited December 29, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps