Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Excellent" 5th series?

Author Topic: "Excellent" 5th series?
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Link updated now with news of a Star Trek: Excellent premise. It's at www.greatlink.org as you should know.

My opinion is divided. I don't see how this new ship could be as big as implied by this "Deep Throat". The feds just don't seem to go in for that scale of ship.

As for the premise itself. A little like New frontier, but I'm more concerned with the idea of it being a EU allegory. What's the federation doing intervening in the internal affairs of this friendly power, or the conquests of the rampaging space "orcs"? Prime Directive anyone??

Also, this "european" angle sounds faintly patronising.

Go see the reports and then speak your brains!

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

[This message has been edited by Montgomery (edited January 04, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there should be any new aliens introduced, because I think there are already too may of them. I hope they're bringing back some of the lost TOS aliens, like the Andorians and the Tellarites (the ones with the big noses!)
I like the idea of a less sophisticated species tough. Something like the UFP was in TOS-times.

Actually, I'm not really waiting for a "Supermegaship" like the USS Excellent. I'd like a new design, something like the Sovereign, but smaller and a bit more "low-budget", no fancy stuff.

Alien captain is good, CGI aliens are good.
Babylon5-ed starships, YUK!

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really like this idea much.

What I would really like to see is stuff from all of the preceding series, with a ship with transwarp/slipstream capabilities. We could see the farflung reaches of the galaxy while still being able to see the Alpha Quadrant at will. I'd still like to see some of the old species from TOS return now that CGI has gotten a lot better. They could make Tholians and Gorn that would knock our socks off.

------------------
"We exist in a boundless time continuum. There is no weekend!"

- Zorak, "Hungry," Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good lord. That sounds really REALLY bad. And yes, its extremely insulting to the Europeans.

------------------
"That is the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle into a lions mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel".
- Rimmer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... Only if you use that analogy. You could say that the Feds are the EU and this new group is Canada, or something. Or the other way around. Or whatever you want! *L*

big ship: bad.
new aliens/CGI aliens: good.
ship all alone, cut off from the rest of the UFP: bad.
nomadic nutcase badguy aliens: good.

I think I could go either way on this one. If they have good original stories, they could pull it off pretty well. But, if they start recycling old Voyager plots (half of which were already recycled from earlier series), there isn't much to make up for it.

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll leap in on the side of the minority here...

I like this idea. I like the big ship, especially the way they explained it (as a "lifeboat" in case of a disaster with the Borg). I like the distance from the rest of the Federation, I like the alien captain, I like the primitive nomadic barbarians. I ESPECIALLY like the idea of Q playing a role on BOTH sides of the conflict. Very interesting possibilities there.

Any thoughts on possible character cross-overs from previous series?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of this plot sound good, parts bad. Someone mentioned that it sounded aot like New Frontier. From what I remember, I think so too. Why not just make a New Frontier TV series or miniseries?

The Giganto-humungoid Class ship: Terrible idea. It sounds like a poorly designed fan ship. Gotta be the biggest and best ever!!!

Q: Well, it seems like Q is always showing up on the Starfleet vessels that have their own series. Q worked in TNG, he didn't work so much in DS9 and they knew when to quit. They had one good idea on how to get him there, but he was bored with Sisko so they didn't force the issue. Q works on Voyager and we haven't seen him in two seasons!! I don't think having him on is that great an idea. Definately not unless they have him around alot in a non interfering kind of way.

I don't mind the idea of an alien captain (although Star Trek has always pretty much been about the Human Adventure). I despise CGI characters (Jabba looked better in Jedi as a big puppet). They should come up with some cool make up and latex stuff. Make me believe it!!

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CGI Gorns!
WOW!!!

------------------
So small,
So innocent, so young, So delicately done
Grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even a ship that large has got to get its backside whipped occasionally, and that is bound to spoil everything that it's been built up for. Look at the Defiant - it was supposed to be this all conquering ship, but it got beaten by the Borg and the Breen. This is just setting it up for a great big fall later.

Re: the EU analogy, I think someone at Paramount probably feels a little threatened and is making a preemptive strike.

------------------
Worf: He is an overgrown child and she is...confused.

O'Brien: It could still work.

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like several others, I think parts of this may work and others don't.

The ship could work, but it would depend on the external design, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not quite so big - but I like the idea.

The idea of an alien captain is good, but I especially agree with the idea that the captain would have to be something like a Trill or Bajoran or Betazoid - alien enought to have small differences, but for the most part very similar to humans. A Vulcan captain wouldn't work in my mind - for a TV show, a captain needs to show emotion.

I also like the CGI alien idea. How about an Ensign Species 8472? The actor who would play him would only be heard as the 8472's telepathic presence. I think that would be neat. This could add trivia to the show also, as the actor to play him would appear as an ND crewman on screen sometimes. It could work.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...wasn't this pretty much exposed as random fan wishes several months ago? I mean, USS Excellent is a slighty worse name for a ship than USS Big Shippy Looking Thing That Flys Around And Does Stuff.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, this may be coincidence, but I just read something that said the US Navy has decided to change the name of their new aircraft carrier from "USS Ronald Reagan" to "USS Big Shippy Looking Thing That Flies Around And Does Stuff..." Congrats, Sol! Are you getting any royalties?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dane, wouldn't that be the USS Big Shippy Looking Thing That Floats Around And Does Stuff?

Is there anyone else who thinks of Bernd's Pretentious-class when the Excellent enters the discussion?

IP: Logged
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a way, I hope all these Internet rumors of the New Series were just put out to scare us and they'll come out with something really good.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps