Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ron Moore Speaks!!!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ron Moore Speaks!!!!!
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave it to Sol to sum up all my thoughts in one line.
Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed! I totally agree with Sol.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might not be new, but this interview sums up everything quite well.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice that everyone can say "This is bad," but can you come up with a way to "fix" it? If not, just complain about it once and pass it by. I mean, if you can't "fix" the Maquis/Starfleet thing now, if you had to, then there's no reason for you to still use that as an excuse as for why Voyager -- as is now -- isn't a good show, IMO.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not an excuse, it's a reason. It would have been nice if the Maquis retained their previous uniforms and always contested the decisions made by Janeway etc. It would have made for a more interesting show.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Fine, it's a reason to begin with, but after five years and no one knowing what to do to "fix" it, it borders very close to being an excuse, IMO.

There is a point at which you need to accept some things as they are...

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited January 24, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

No, there's a point at which some of us turn off the TV.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Yes, like you did to "Drone" because of the implausibility; and then you missed a highly praised episode.
Individual 5748
Ex-Member

But you apparently don't do that. Why not follow your own advice before you give it?

Edit: Well, apparently you do turn it off. I missed Garak's post. My mistake. But if you don't like, maybe you should turn it off a little more often. For instance, you obviously didn't like "Fair Haven," but I got the impression you watched the whole thing. I'm curious about that.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Individual 5748 (edited January 24, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I stopped watching "Fair Haven" after the first twelve minutes.

As for episodes like "Drone," if the premise is implausable, it ruins my ability to take the episode seriously.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

It's a drama, not a science documentary.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, so is "ER," but the doctors on that show have never encountered anyone with a brain made out of clay, or something.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But sometimes, drama must give into believabilty. Even with it being science fiction, there has to be some sort of realism involved or the story crashes (like Voyager usually does).

As for fixes for Voyager, if you give me about a week, I can list some changes that maybe able to fix it. I say a week because my computer is going in for an upgrade either tomorrow or Wednesday and my friend dubbed off the 1st Season of Earth: Final Conflict (the only good Roddenberry series on TV) for me so I'm going to be engrossed in that.

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5/Crusade Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

Contributing Writer
Beyond Babylon
http://www.b5mg.com/Beyond_Babylon

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

But even from the very first shots of the first TOS episode, science was at least partially thrown out the window. In real life, there is no way to hear a starship in space. In real life, we would not see a phaser blast. There will never be a transporter because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. However, Star Trek, and practically all other science fiction, continues to break these basic laws of nature or physics or whatever simply because it adds to the drama present on the screen. So if they're going to break even the most fundamental laws of science to add to drama, why should we hope that they wouldn't do the same for the more complex laws?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The audience can tolerate only a certain amount of anti-science, though. Besides, hearing ships in space isn't a major plot point.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps