Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Population of the Federation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Population of the Federation
warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wonder also what the population of the Federation and the other Alpha Quadrant species. I'm estimating the population of the Federation is somewhere between 5 and 10 trillion people

------------------

IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's assume that the pop of the Sol system is about 10 to 20 billion (assuming the carrying capacity of Earth is increased and some of the outer planets, moons and asteroids have settlements). Also, let's assume that the membership of the Federation is 150 and that each member has a similar population. That would give a total pop for members of 1.5 to 3 trillion. Does your estimate include member worlds only or does it also include all worlds within the Fed "Sphere of Influence"?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came up with a similar number. The larger figure comes from, I think, certain references on DS9 to 900 million expected casualties from the Dominion War, but I think that was a sum total, and not just those of the UFP. At any rate, it was based on the projections of Jack and company, and is by no means an official figure.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

grb
Ex-Member

Actually, the Federation casualty estimate from "Statistical Probablities" was nine-hundred BILLION.

------------------
Obviously you refuse to cooperate with me. Obviously you have no discipline to kepp the mouth shut. Obviously you don't. Let's try it that way, then you might get the hint. How many more minutes are we going to waste asking you not to talk? How many more!?!

warbird5
Ex-Member

yeah it was 900 billion not 900 million. If you had 900 billion people die out of 10 trillion, that's 9% of the population. That's a large percentage but i think the genetically modified humans estimated it would've been a a long war like 10-20 yrs instead of 2. I think the 900 billion casualty figure was just the Federation
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to say billion, actually.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Daystrom
Ex-Member

Howdy,

I think the 10 billion number for the Sol system would be closer.
Earth
Moon
Mars(perhaps Phobos but I dont see it)
Io
Ganymede
Titan

5 or 6 billion for earth(more or less)
1 billion per colony, I think this number a bit high but almost acceptable for the sake of arguement.

Like I said, almost.

So lets adjust that to 10 billion.
But each system should be different.
Some federation planets dont seem to have been interested in colonizing other planets of their system or others have species of different levels of technology, some not warp capable.

But the overall number of 1.5 trillion(more or less) seems the most plausable to me.

------------------
"I can't hold it! She's breaking up, she's breaking up!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Io? Who in their right mind would want to live on Io?!

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

grb
Ex-Member

Supposedly, with current techjnology, the Earth has the capacity to hold 12 billion people. But that's only without up and coming technologies, just as genetically engineered crops, which would alow us to grow more food with a sammerl amount of land than curent trechnology would allow. Even though population is actually decreasing is several western nations, I think that it wouldn't grow and then come all the way back down to 6 billion nessacraily. The 24th century trek Earth, with 24th century technology, could maybe support let's say 50 billion people. But that doesn't mean that it would, as it seem sthat has western nations have become mroe modernized, the brith rates have greatly dropped. The population of the 24th century Earth could thus be anywhere from 1 billion to 100 billion, we might not have any way to tell.

------------------
Obviously you refuse to cooperate with me. Obviously you have no discipline to kepp the mouth shut. Obviously you don't. Let's try it that way, then you might get the hint. How many more minutes are we going to waste asking you not to talk? How many more!?!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god. It's the all powerful DAYSTROM!!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

warbird5
Ex-Member

the 10 billion number for the sol system is kinda low. The Earth should have a population of around 15 billion or more and if you count the other planets, i would say the population is around 20-25 billion for the sol system
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wardbird5, that does sound better. In the 24th century they have Earth, Mars, the moon (Luna), and any other settled bases on moons of other planets and then there are places like Stardock and Jupiter station (even though the would only hold a few thousand people).

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

Daystrom
Ex-Member

lol

Io.

Now that I think of it why WOULD anyone want to live on Io.

Cant breath on Io.

Cant take a piss without it freezing mid-stream on Io.

But I guess there are other planets and moons in the solar system that would be more comfortable for us to colonize.

You cant trust everything you see in a documentary.

Perhaps I posted out of turn, my apologies.

At any rate, just because the earth can handle 12 billion does mean it will allow its self to. The technology would have to be there first. If the utopia of the Trek universe comes to pass I could accept that number.

However, I dont think that will be the case.

The 10billion number may seem low to some, my assumption is that even with the option of leaving earth, most people would probably prefer to stay home at earth.

The colonies would be just that.

Personally I dont see each colonized world in our system having anything close to earth's current population or even half of it.

Has anyone seen REAL population projections for the earth in the 24th century? That would be the most accurate indicator. The population is going to grow only so fast regardless of the factors involved.
I dont see earth experiencing a population explosion just because we've started to colonize other planets.

That information's got to be on this sophistimacated doowhacky somewhere. Lets see if we can find it.

BTW, hi Kosh.

I am Daystrom and I am here.

lol

------------------
"I can't hold it! She's breaking up, she's breaking up!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you.

Io could, of course, sustain some sort of 'Biodome' or *paulyspeak* wh-at-not.

Also, would space stations and oribital science platforms count as additions to the population? If so, there's at least a couple million right there.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure it's possible to colonize Io. But why would anyone want to? I mean, the whole thing is utterly wracked w/ volcanic activity, unimaginable tidal forces, and that Jupiter-Io flux tube thing. I'm not sure exactly what that is (I read it recently, but I forget), but I'm sure it would cause problems. :-)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps